2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

what a trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Dick Manley
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what a trip

Yesterday (friday) i had plans to go visit my girlfriend at her college in western ny state about 4 hours from me in western ma. Well everything started out ok i got about ten miles on the turnpike and my truck started acting up. i had loss of power and a strange noise coming from my exhaust or my tranny or my rear diff i couldnt really make it out, i thought it might have been a metal on metal nouse or a spooling noise causer hte lack of diff fluid. I decided to turnoff the next exit ans stop at a service station and have some one look at it and give me an idea of what the problem was. After the tech took a look at it and went for a drive he could figure anything out and gave me directions to another service station. Well i went looking for the other service station snd did not find it, I ended up in new york state and got onto the highway i drove for about ten min then no problems and then i had the same problem and i decided i needed to get it taken care of to at least get home. i stoped at two full service garages and at both places the techs and i came to the conclusion that the cat or the exhast was plugged ( i have a gibson split rear system) and no one had a cat they could help me out with or even cut the cat off for me jsut so i could make the trip home cause at about this time i was about an hour away from home. After driving surfac road s i thought the problem magially went away but what the hell was i thinking. I ended back up on the highway about ten miles outside albany and the problem was very bad. i stoped at a walmart to buy a hack saw and some clamps and some flex pipe and i was gonna pull a parking lot fix and then some one in the store directed me to a midas muffler shop that was still open at this time (after five on a friday). So i limped my truck the 5 miles to the midas and had one of the techs look at it and as soon as he started it up he knew the cat was shot which was a relief for me cause i thought my tranny went out on me . He pulled my dak in and in about 15 min cut the old cat off and welded a new one it and welded up some spots on my system that had some leaks. Man did i get a good deal really fast emergency service and a good price. He charged me 100 bucks and i bought him a 18 pack of coors for the trouble. So about 3 and half hours later i finally made it to my girlfriends school in Elmira Ny. So if your ever in the Greenbush/Rensalear area stop in the Midas on route 9 and thank Joe for me

Quick Reply: what a trip