2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need advice on buying used Dakota, what engine to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:59 AM
TexasCoder
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice on buying used Dakota, what engine to avoid?

Hello, I just signed up to this forum, due to the fact I am on the hunt for a 2000, 2001 or 2002 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4.

My questions are:

1) Which engines should I avoid: 3.9 (Can't see Dodge putting a V6 in a 4x4, but I don't know, this will be my first Dakota) / 4.7 / 5.9?

2) As far as the transmission goes, is it common to have the 46RE in the 4.7 and 5.9 4x4 setups? If so, has anyone had issues with these trannys or the transfer case?

3) Are there any common wear items on these vehicles (more so than others): main seal leakage (front or rear), tie rods, ball joints, water pumps, timing chain, u joint that I should keep an eye out for?

4) Am I being reasonable in thinking I can find one for $6,000-$7,000 (With the expectation of having a 100k or more on the odometer)?

Number three is pretty vague, considering any high mileage vehicle is going to exhibit issues on some, if not all, of these areas. But I figured you guys would be able to tell me what to watch out for.

As for the use of this vehicle, it is going to be a daily driver, taking me to and from work (In Dallas Texas). This means traffic is 90% heavy. I will occasionally (read as: every weekend) take her out mud'n.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this, and I am excited about buying a Dakota.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:28 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasCoder
Hello, I just signed up to this forum, due to the fact I am on the hunt for a 2000, 2001 or 2002 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4.

My questions are:

1) Which engines should I avoid: 3.9 (Can't see Dodge putting a V6 in a 4x4, but I don't know, this will be my first Dakota) / 4.7 / 5.9?

2) As far as the transmission goes, is it common to have the 46RE in the 4.7 and 5.9 4x4 setups? If so, has anyone had issues with these trannys or the transfer case?

3) Are there any common wear items on these vehicles (more so than others): main seal leakage (front or rear), tie rods, ball joints, water pumps, timing chain, u joint that I should keep an eye out for?

4) Am I being reasonable in thinking I can find one for $6,000-$7,000 (With the expectation of having a 100k or more on the odometer)?

Number three is pretty vague, considering any high mileage vehicle is going to exhibit issues on some, if not all, of these areas. But I figured you guys would be able to tell me what to watch out for.

As for the use of this vehicle, it is going to be a daily driver, taking me to and from work (In Dallas Texas). This means traffic is 90% heavy. I will occasionally (read as: every weekend) take her out mud'n.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this, and I am excited about buying a Dakota.
1. not really engines to avoid, reliability wise, but yes its good to go with a V8 as for the fact you'll get better or the same mpg as the V6. I'd personally go with a 4.7 for the best in power and mpg but the 5.9 is a good motor to just harder on gas and your either going to have to get it with 2wd (RT) or AWD.

2. i don't know a whole lot about the auto tranny's, I just know I got a manual so I didn't have to worry about the common dodge problems. however I think the auto behind the 4.7 is an upgrade over the older auto tran's...i know someone else will chime in on this.

3. big wear items are the ball joints. the whole front end in general is something you should check out before buying. also if it has a c clip rear which would be a corp 9.25 with lsd the lsd tends to not be the best. also something to look for. my first inspection I had the joy of finding metal on the magnet of the rear and had to get it rebuilt as well as ball joints.

4. I think that is a really reasonable price for this year and truck. you may expect a little more depending on dealers and people who think they have gold but you seem to be right around the mark with that.

They are great trucks and I have loved mine since I got it about 4 years ago. No major problems except for that first inspection other than normal wear and tear stuff and I still get 18-20 HW mpg in the summer with the stuff in my signature done. There is a lot of good info around on this forum so do your research and you should be able to find a really good reliable truck.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:57 PM
hanleysh
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheePlaymaker
1. not really engines to avoid, reliability wise, but yes its good to go with a V8 as for the fact you'll get better or the same mpg as the V6. I'd personally go with a 4.7 for the best in power and mpg but the 5.9 is a good motor to just harder on gas and your either going to have to get it with 2wd (RT) or AWD.

The 5.9's were available with 4wd as well, not just the awd.... Atleast they were in '03

Old 02-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Dakota1089
Professional

2. i don't know a whole lot about the auto tranny's, I just know I got a manual so I didn't have to worry about the common dodge problems. however I think the auto behind the 4.7 is an upgrade over the older auto tran's...i know someone else will chime in on this.

3. big wear items are the ball joints. the whole front end in general is something you should check out before buying. also if it has a c clip rear which would be a corp 9.25 with lsd the lsd tends to not be the best. also something to look for. my first inspection I had the joy of finding metal on the magnet of the rear and had to get it rebuilt as well as ball joints.

4. I think that is a really reasonable price for this year and truck. you may expect a little more depending on dealers and people who think they have gold but you seem to be right around the mark with that.

They are great trucks and I have loved mine since I got it about 4 years ago. No major problems except for that first inspection other than normal wear and tear stuff and I still get 18-20 HW mpg in the summer with the stuff in my signature done. There is a lot of good info around on this forum so do your research and you should be able to find a really good reliable truck.
I also have a thread going as im about to be a second gen owner but if im nt mistaken doesnt the magnum V8 put out 250 hp vs the 4.7L's 230? i guess it depends on the L but the 5.9 is 250 and the 5.2 is 225 so i think is safe to say power is pretty much the same, for upgrading ability a magnum would be easier id imagine? Im looking at a 99 4x4 SLT 5.2L V8 magnum with 50xxx and an 04 4x4 quad cab sport with the 4.7L with 40xxx both auto trannys? dont know which to go for?

P.s not trying to thread jack

Old 02-25-2011, 03:28 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have a 4.7 and like it a lot. Just as an example I bought my Dakota (4.7, 4x4, 5 speed, extended cab, power mirrors, locks, windows... ect ect) for $7000 two and a half years ago with 97k miles on it. The kbb on it then was just over $7000 so I was ok with the price. I don't see why you can't find a similar truck for less now. Especially seeing you're in the south were things are normally cheaper.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:32 PM
n_i_c_k

If you want economy and power go with the 4.7L. The only problem is you need to watch for engine sludge. Even with strict maintainance, the oil may tend to bake at the edges of the heads if using conventional motor oil. It is a very reliable engine though. Went to full sythetic not a problem since.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:01 PM
MaximRecoil
Professional

Originally Posted by TexasCoder
Can't see Dodge putting a V6 in a 4x4
Why do you say that?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:13 PM
TexasCoder
Amateur

Thanks for the information TheePlaymaker, this forum is great, and is really helping me to narrow down my choices!

Old 02-25-2011, 05:14 PM
TexasCoder
Amateur

Originally Posted by hanleysh
The 5.9's were available with 4wd as well, not just the awd.... Atleast they were in '03
Not to sound too simple, but what is the difference between AWD and 4WD? Is is just one is always "on" and the other is driver engaged?

Old 02-25-2011, 05:18 PM
TexasCoder
Amateur

Originally Posted by bpark8824
I too have a 4.7 and like it a lot. Just as an example I bought my Dakota (4.7, 4x4, 5 speed, extended cab, power mirrors, locks, windows... ect ect) for $7000 two and a half years ago with 97k miles on it. The kbb on it then was just over $7000 so I was ok with the price. I don't see why you can't find a similar truck for less now. Especially seeing you're in the south were things are normally cheaper.
That is good news! But I am finding that us southern folk are white knuckle'n their 4x4 Dakotas. I found one earlier this morning, looked at it, and offered the man 6,800 from his 7,300 OBO posting. Without twitching he said "Nope, I would rather keep it"

This last one I went to look at, the person decided not too sell it. Claimed he wanted to "get a few more miles out of her"...

Tail tucked between my legs and limping back home, I am once again searching the 'net and local papers...someone out there is going to want my bag of money!

Quick Reply: Need advice on buying used Dakota, what engine to avoid?