2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension
Print Wikipost

Power Steering Problem??

Old 09-23-2007, 09:49 PM
run71324
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power Steering Problem??

ORIGINAL: sharkbait72

Just wondering if you ever got your power steering problem fixed. What was the problem and what exactly fixed it? My truck (04 Dakota)is doing the exact same thing now - stiff, loose, stiff, loose steering.
Unfortunality my 04 is doing the same thing too.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:05 PM
jdwinty

My 2004 Dodge Dakota 4X4 is now on it's 3rd trip for service for a similar/same problem. The steering is rough and inconsistent while turning. They first replaced the steering rack and some "boot". That didn't work and so they replaced the power steering pump and immediately were not happy with the steering and so they put another rack in it. My wife picked it up and first thing she said to me was "I am never driving your truck again". I drove it a couple of days and it's obvious the problem is still there. I took it back tonight and waiting to see what happens next. I am almost ready to go buy something else. I will update when I know more!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:33 PM
jdwinty

Picked my truck up tonight and this was the first time in a long time I have actually enjoyed driving my Dakota.

On my 2004 Dakota...after replacing the steering rack, pump and all the hoses, they discovered the real source of the problem was what they called the "intermediate rod" which was binding/sticking.

Apparently the big thing to look for is "steering return"....that is when you make a turn, does your steering want to return back the way it came (straighten out) AND of course it should steer like butter (mine was so rough for so long I thought maybe this how trucks were supposed to be).

So mention intermediate shaft or rod to them if they are having trouble with yours and they have looked at the rack, pump, ball joints, hoses, good pressure test and such.

Hope this helps someone!

JD

Old 10-29-2007, 02:19 PM
liverystable

The problem usually is the little u-joint on the lower steering shaft (intermediate shaft ) where it connects to the rack & pinion input, it freezes up and makes turning the steering wheel very hard or jerky. The lower shaft list for 166.00 from Dodge, for a 2004 4X4 Dakota. It should take less than an hour to replace.
Hope this helps,
Bruce

Old 10-29-2007, 10:44 PM
jdwinty

Thanks Bruce for clearing up what they were likely talking about.

It has been over a week now and steering is still smooth as butter and so that definitely was the problem. I posted a rant about the dealership on my website, mostly because Iwas peeved they would let a truck leave their shop when they had to know the problem wasn't resolved.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:41 PM
BrewerYXE

Another 2004 Dakota 4x4 here with the exact same problem as described. So I took it to the dealer to have it checked and surprise, surprise they want to change the Power Steering Pump AND the Rack.

Problem for me is that my warranty ran out 4 months ago so they want to charge me over $2000 for this work to be done. I told the service advisor what I read here in this forum and he went to the mech but of course the mechs ego says no way that its the intermediate shaft. The service adivisor's advice to me if I think it may be the intermediate shaft is to change it at the same time we change the Rack and pump... WTF I was trying to save myself money so they advise me to spend even more!!!!! If it was under warranty I could care less, give me all the new parts you want its your dime, but when its my money you better damn well be sure what you are doing. So I brought it home to figure out what I am going to do with this thing.

So today I decided to to a test of my own, now I am not 100% sure where this intermediate shaft lives but judging from the comments about the u-joint I found a spot that comes off the main steering arm that has a u-joint (knuckle if you prefer) that connects down to the steering rack (accessed from under the hood) so I hosed it down with good ol WD40 as much as I could and went for a ride... guess what, it steered like "butter" ... all the stiffness was gone, it was like a new truck. Now I know this is not a permanent 'fix' but it seems to me that if the pump and rack were bad that squirting some WD40 on a small u-joint would not have solved my problem so I am certain at this point that this part needs to be changed and I will be fine. Anyone agree with this??

Now as for my dealer service department, are they
A) INCOMPETENT
B) RETARDED
C) TRYING TO SCREW THEIR CUSTOMERS
D) ALL OF THE ABOVE

STAY AWAY FROM VARSITY CHRYSLER IN CALGARY, ALBERTA

Old 01-07-2008, 06:51 PM
jdwinty

ALL Of the ABOVE

You would think 4 years (or more) and these guys would be experts at spotting this stuff.

Whats really stupid is that most people would assume this isa Power Steering pump or rack problem and they would only stand to look like a genius by exposing a something unassuming. You certainly have to wonder if the cheap cost ofreplacement is what factors in here. I actually had the dealer twice now tell me something wasn't covered under warranty. Since I am such a **** twit I always call to confirm with my warranty company. Both times I get the line " We haven't even heard from your dealer and yes, it is indeed covered" Screw these dealers...now and forever! (well sometimes )))

Old 01-07-2008, 07:17 PM
imnothot02
Record Breaker

ASE certifcation is a joke anymore, doesn't mean ****, dealers, suck (.) find a mechanic you can trust at a mom and pop type shop

Old 01-09-2008, 05:23 PM
uplifter

i also have a 2004 4 x 4 with steering problems. the symptoms are similar to the others on this thread. I just took it in to my dealer today and they checked it out and say the steering coupler on the column is the problem. they are putting it on tommorrow @$300. if it works I will be happy but after reading about others with related problems will wait to see.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:07 AM
run71324

i posted before about mine having problems. they told me the same thing about it being the rack. so i went along with them and while they were taking the old rack off the intermediate shaft just 'poped' off when the mech. went to pull on it. apparently the u-joint came apart when he pulled on it, so they replaced the intermediate shaft for free. once i got the truck back the steering has been fine until this week. now when i go around a corner or turn the steering seems gummy in one spot. once it's past that part it seems fine. the spot where it seems gummy is the same for turning left and right. when going around a curve it sticks and when it releases you end up steering to sharp and have to correct back to the stickey spot. i havn't talked to the dealer about it yet and i was wondering of anyone else is having the same issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Problem??