2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension
Print Wikipost

Power Steering Problem??

Old 10-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Lucrofix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many people have offered up the solution to this steering problem with replacing the intermediate joints, which I'm game for since I've already had the Steering fluid pump replaced as well as the water pump (dont ask). Does anyone know the sku numbers on these parts and/or where to buy them? PLEASE HELP! My steering has been bad for nearly two months and I'm worrried it will all crap out on me any day now! Thank you

Old 03-17-2012, 05:11 AM
wyvyrn527

I just started having a problem with mine at around 73,500 miles. It started with a slight shimmy in the steering wheel, and then the steering got really tight. Fluid levels are normal, and I haven't spotted any leaks. It's been like this for a week now. It's a 2004 Dakota Sport 4x4. Other than the steering, it drives fine, and am clueless as to what can be causing it. I've looked underneath on jack stands and everything seems to be intact.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Doylez

Seems I have the problem now too. I have a 2001 Durango 4.7L. One evening I took the truck out, it drove fine. 20 minutes later, I get back in to drive home and as I pulled out of my parking spot, it felt like I had no power steering. The temperature at the time had to have been around low 80's. So it wasn't cold and it wasn't raining (or wet out).

I've been driving the truck around all week and at times the steering feels fine but once in awhile, I can feel the steering wheel fighting back. It's not often that it feels like I have total loss like that time I was pulling out of the parking spot but I fear that day will come when I have total loss.

I'll try to spray WD-40 on the u-joint tomorrow and see how it goes.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:24 AM
dodge_boy
Default steering issue

a wile ago I had a similar issue with my 01 dakota my steering wheel had a hard spot and wouldn't return on corners and was very had when parking it was so bad my wife had to use two hands to steer it I swore it was the rack there was no pump wine I even went as far as pulling the front end apart to check tie rods and ball joints they were fine I then checked the intermediate shaft(the bar between the fire wall and pump with ujoints) the only way to check that is to remove it. Got it out and the u joints were seized bingo called the dealer got one on order was a few days away so I soked it in trany fluid for a hour or so the just kept working it till it was free and moved smoothly even used mild heat put it in and it was fine I never put a new one in it has been over a year now just kept sprying it with chain lube don't know if that helps you but when I looked for mine issue now one had a clue

Old 08-18-2012, 08:27 AM
dodge_boy

You can't replace the u joints only the hole shaft

Old 08-18-2012, 09:12 AM
EricBing
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anything with an aluminum style rack can get whats commonly known as "morning sickness" (where the internal cups riding back and forth in rack make wear marks and over time create sticking points). Wife's truck did the same thing. It got worse after a flush and clean keep that in mind.
Take out a pint or so of power steering fluid get some lucas power sterring stabilizer and add problem solved. Lucas is Great lol

Old 08-18-2012, 09:22 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

engine oil is what I used just dripped it on the little devils but first sprayed them with WD40 for a few days to soak them then dripped the oil on. The engine oil is thicker grease may be even better as its so thick and will not wash off with water.

I used Mobil 1 oil

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 08-18-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:53 PM
heinrichvictory

I registered on this site and resurrect this thread just to thank you guys. I was on a fairly long (6 hour) trip when my steering started to stiffen up in my ‘04 Dodge 4x4 (see sig). By the time I got back home it was getting dangerous. I had already made an appt with the local shop when I decided to do a bit of research. Reading that others had this same problem and what they had gone through and still had no resolution had me pretty worried. Thanks to this thread, I avoided any trip to any shop. I took some Liquid Wrench and soaked both knuckles of the intermediate rod quite liberally. At first, it made no discernable difference and I was once again disheartened. But as the day went on it freed up, By the next afternoon, I had no issue whatsoever. It was back to normal! And, when (or if) it does occur again, I know which part it is that needs to be replaced. And it’s something that I can do myself.
Again, all thanks to this forum and thread. You guys are a lifesaver. I absolutely love driving my Dodge again. Even more so than I do my 3 year old G37. That V8 sound is MONSTROUS.

Edit: Why is my sig not showing up?

Last edited by heinrichvictory; 04-09-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Sig not showing up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering Problem??