2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Wrong pcm

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 05:30 AM
00scrimp
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wrong pcm

I bought a 98 Dodge Dakota with the no start no spark problem have spent about a month trying to figure out why this truck won't start, have been through the writing harness, crank, cam sensors, fuses, etc. Finally decided i would just buy another pcm and try that only when i ran the part number of the pcm through Google it comes up as a pcm for a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee and not a Dakota so that pretty much tells me why the truck won't start now the problem is how do i find out the part number of the pcm that came in my truck so i can purchase a new one? Can anyone help me plz it's a 98 Dodge Dakota ext cab 2 wheel drive auto trans with 3.9l v6. My vin number is1B7GL22X6WS532720 if that helps, Thanks

This is the pcm that was in the truck when i bought it
P.s. talked to the guy i bought it from he said he did change out pcm with one from junk yard and doesn't have the original anymore

Last edited by 00scrimp; 02-03-2022 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:01 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

Welcome to DodgeForum.com...

Post a pic of your emissions sticker that is under the hood (so I can see what it says)... It will say what motor you have, whether it is 49 state or CA emissions. Then go to car-part.com and search for your year truck and engine. Once you find one, call them up and tell them you need an ECU, they will ask year, engine, trans and I think 2wd or 4wd and then tell you if they have it or not. If yes, then you can buy it thru them, do the install and motor on (maybe with dash light for ABS & brake). Then you can get the VIN programmed into it to clear the lights.

OR

buy a "rebuilt" ECM where you supply the VIN number and they will have the right program to stuff into it and once installed, you'll get it started.

I just went thru the 1st scenario with my 2002. Was attempting to dump in a modified tune and part of the process is to erase whats in there, then write. Had a hiccup in the process and only got thru the erase process and was stuck. Bought an ECU from a wrecking yard and truck is now back up with the 2 dash lights & vin mis-match described above. Once I get the tunes downloaded into the ECM (still working on it) truck should be back to normal since the VIN is already programmed into the origiinal ECU. Once thats done, then I will get the 2nd ECU VIN programmed and have it as a backup.

hope this helps...

Old 02-03-2022, 08:28 AM
00scrimp
Amateur

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
Welcome to DodgeForum.com...

Post a pic of your emissions sticker that is under the hood (so I can see what it says)... It will say what motor you have, whether it is 49 state or CA emissions. Then go to car-part.com and search for your year truck and engine. Once you find one, call them up and tell them you need an ECU, they will ask year, engine, trans and I think 2wd or 4wd and then tell you if they have it or not. If yes, then you can buy it thru them, do the install and motor on (maybe with dash light for ABS & brake). Then you can get the VIN programmed into it to clear the lights.

OR

buy a "rebuilt" ECM where you supply the VIN number and they will have the right program to stuff into it and once installed, you'll get it started.

I just went thru the 1st scenario with my 2002. Was attempting to dump in a modified tune and part of the process is to erase whats in there, then write. Had a hiccup in the process and only got thru the erase process and was stuck. Bought an ECU from a wrecking yard and truck is now back up with the 2 dash lights & vin mis-match described above. Once I get the tunes downloaded into the ECM (still working on it) truck should be back to normal since the VIN is already programmed into the origiinal ECU. Once thats done, then I will get the 2nd ECU VIN programmed and have it as a backup.

hope this helps...
Hopefully you can read the info on the sticker. I am planning to buy a pcm preprogrammed with my vin í just don't know which pcm to purchase because from reading other posts it has to be an exact math on the part number

Old 02-03-2022, 08:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

You should be able to just wander on down to your local parts store, tell 'em what you drive, and they should be able to hook you up.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:02 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

go find a '98 3.9 engine dak and grab the ECU... shouldnt be too hard to find. Thats a 49 state engine, if the emissions sticker says CA anywhere it says "This vehicle conforms..." as seen at the top of your pic, pass on it until you find the one that matches your label. Make sure it says for 1998 model year. Not sure how the older trucks would handle a different year ECU, probably not an issue back then but to have the best chance of success, find a 1998 MY truck.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:10 AM
00scrimp
Amateur

go find a '98 3.9 engine dak and grab the ECU... shouldnt be too hard to find. Thats a 49 state engine, if the emissions sticker says CA anywhere it says "This vehicle conforms..." as seen at the top of your pic, pass on it until you find the one that matches your label. Make sure it says for 1998 model year. Not sure how the older trucks would handle a different year ECU, probably not an issue back then but to have the best chance of success, find a 1998 MY truck.
Yea I've been to two u-pull places and there isn't a single pcm in any of the trucks lol so guessing it's pretty common problem, before i order it i will make sure to call the place i order from to guarantee it'll work. If i call a Dodge dealer and have them the VIN could they tell me the exact part number that came in it or is it a waste of time to try and get info from them?

Old 02-03-2022, 09:14 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

Try car-part.com and see if there is a yard nearby that has one. I would look for your year with the 3.9 engine, there should be a bunch.

when you order one from a "rebuilder" they will program in your VIN so there should be nothing additional needed.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:30 AM
00scrimp
Amateur

Try car-part.com and see if there is a yard nearby that has one. I would look for your year with the 3.9 engine, there should be a bunch.

when you order one from a "rebuilder" they will program in your VIN so there should be nothing additional needed.
Actually looking on there now already sent for a couple quotes, closest yard is like 2.5 hours away but if it'll work I'll drive it lol

Old 02-03-2022, 09:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by 00scrimp
Actually looking on there now already sent for a couple quotes, closest yard is like 2.5 hours away but if it'll work I'll drive it lol
Call your local parts store. Check pricing/availability.

Old 02-03-2022, 09:39 AM
00scrimp
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Call your local parts store. Check pricing/availability.
I've tried they said there is more than one part number and they would need to know mine before they could check..... Seems like the 323 pcm is most common for my yr, engine, trans so i think I'm gonna gamble with that part number

Quick Reply: Wrong pcm