2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HELP!!!!! I Have Rust.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 11:13 PM
dakotamedic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!! I Have Rust.

I have just purchased a 2000 Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab. This truck spent its first 5 years of life in Maine. I live in Georgia and have concerns about bpdy and frame rust. I have small rust spots (surface where paint has peeled) around the bottom perimeter of my tailgate and surface rust where the truck was bumped in the right rear lower bed fender. My question is: IS MY TRUCK DESTINED TO BE A RUST BUCKET???????? Or if I fix these small places will the remainder of the body that has intact paint be OK.
I also have surface rust about the frame. Is this of concern. Please Help.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2006, 11:47 PM
OldDodgeDriver
Professional
Default RE: HELP!!!!! I Have Rust.

Hate to be a pessimist, but if its anything like the "from somewhere in the N.E." 1987 Ram I bought a number of years ago, you will be chasing rust spots from now on. I constantly had problems with rust bubbles and spots popping up along both rear quarter panels, door bottoms, the bed corners, edges of windshield, and most of the suspension and exhaust system. Maybe since yours is 13 yrs newer, your body/frame/suspension had higher tech protection from the road salt.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:47 AM
fyrfyghtr
Default RE: HELP!!!!! I Have Rust.

I also just bought a DAK from the NE and have the same worries. I am taking mine to a car wash about once every two weeks and getting an underbody flush. The only place I have rust now is on the edges of the front bumper. If you find out anything drop me a line.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!!! I Have Rust.