2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

TPS goin bad?

Old 11-23-2006, 12:16 AM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPS goin bad?

well my transmission is acting up.. well i was driving my dak before and i was pulsating the pedal during shifts, like you would do with a manual except still be on the gas lightly when it shifted then gradually pushed the gas down as the truck was moving through the gear... possible its the Throttle Position Sensor and im somehow over riding the problem when the tranny hunts through gears 2 and 3 when it shifts between them especially when i have the pedal pushed pretty much half way down, doesnt act up when i go onto the highway either.. just only side roads.. sounds like something electrical

Old 11-24-2006, 04:21 PM
kurbycar32
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TPS goin bad?

its VERY easy to test your TPS sensor with a multimeter. the process is in your repair manual but heres the gist of it. the TPS sensor is whats called a potentiometer, it creates resistance variable on how much the shaft is turned. if you hook up the TPS to a ohm meter and slowly turn the shaft you should see the resistance slowly increase in a linear fashion. what your looking for are dead spots or spikes or drops in the resistance, if you have any inconsistency's in resistance go buy another TPS.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:05 PM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TPS goin bad?

alright cool.. sounds good.. i just dont get it though.. the transmission acts fine though.... i dont really know what to do... im waiting on a price quote from a racing company in california called APS precision... the guy there said he has a transmission lined up for me for what i need... if its cheap il take it off his hands... just freight to pa isnt gonna be cheap [:@]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPS goin bad?