2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:23 AM
lil
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission cooler

I was thinking before spring and summer get here again I want to add a transmission cooler, so for a Gen2 04 4.7L what would be the best brand and size of cooler? I am thinking of placing it on the front side of the radiatior, is this a good place or is there a better place....or should I get one that has its own fan and such.......I don't plan on doing regular towing but when I do I want to have the extra protection for the tranny.....it does get 100+ outside here and I want to protect my truck being the transmission seems to be the weakest link for these trucks.....FYI I have (All 5-Speed Automatic Transmissions DGQ - 5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission DHAP - Lock-Up Torque Converter DMDS - 3.55 Axle Ratio DRBP - Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle).

Also what kind of tubing should I use and about how much do you need to route the inlet and outlet from the transmission?

Old 12-29-2006, 10:03 AM
DakinUK
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: transmission cooler

Hi, this is only based on what I've read here but your truck should already have a transmition cooler and aparently its pretty good unless you're doing a lot of towing at full capacity in hilly areas. In which case, an ADDITIONAL cooler might be sensible, especially as you have the 3.55 axles.

Regards,
Paul

Old 12-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Twiztid
Veteran

For just occasional towing you would be fine with a factory cooler. It mounts at the bottom front of the radiator.

Old 12-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Hit_it
Rookie

ORIGINAL: lil

I was thinking before spring and summer get here again I want to add a transmission cooler, so for a Gen2 04 4.7L what would be the best brand and size of cooler? I am thinking of placing it on the front side of the radiatior, is this a good place or is there a better place....or should I get one that has its own fan and such.......I don't plan on doing regular towing but when I do I want to have the extra protection for the tranny.....it does get 100+ outside here and I want to protect my truck being the transmission seems to be the weakest link for these trucks.....FYI I have (All 5-Speed Automatic Transmissions DGQ - 5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission DHAP - Lock-Up Torque Converter DMDS - 3.55 Axle Ratio DRBP - Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle).

Also what kind of tubing should I use and about how much do you need to route the inlet and outlet from the transmission?
I bought a fluidyne trans cooler from ebay and it is working out great. I don't even have a hitch and have not towed anything. I installed the cooler in about 30mins. While driving I did noticed smooth shifts throughout the shift points. Just a cooler without a fan is enough to extend the life of your trans. Part # 10029 for Fluidyne trans cooler, measures 18"*8.75"*1".

[IMG]local://upfiles/7941/AAFAE85B80784A31A578361EBC36167B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7941/849C0095CB574687B4C67FE765276BC7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-31-2006, 01:54 AM
lil
Captain

Ok I see the radiator and then there is another cooler in front of the radiator I thought that had something to do with the A/C system, condenser coil or something, how do I found the tranmission cooler ?

Old 12-31-2006, 03:07 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the cooler infront of your rad is your a/c condensor. and your tranny cooler is built into your radiator. if you look at the side if it iirc its the passenger side. and you'll see the tranny cooler lines. the stock tranny cooler is fine if your not doing any extreme towing. I think all dakotas come stock with the tranny cooler.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:46 AM
BlueDak
Rookie

If you have the add on factory cooler, then you will have 3 rads. Primary radiator, A/C condensor, and radiator cooler. The additional radiator cooler is a factory/dealer add-on with the tow package or as an HD option. They are available through the dealer and fairly easy to install, I have the factory HD towing on my Dak. and therefore already have it.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:58 AM
f0x672
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got one for my tdak and i installed one on my chrysler cirrus.. lets say i rather a tranny shop do it.. i dont have the patience for critical driveline stuff... so screwy to mess with in my eyes w/o the proper tools, if you wanna tackle it, have fun and good luck

Old 12-31-2006, 09:27 PM
lil
Captain

Ok after looking in the manual I tell everyone to download hehe.......I see the older Gen2's had a 3rd cooler you are talking about but the newer Gen2's like mine have it built into the radiator and I see the inlet and output lines for the trans and can follow them down to below the fan housing....the lines are high pressure rubber then change to metal and go back to the tranny.....looks like that would be a good area to install a T-line or Y-line and add an aux cooler if you wanted to......from what I hear about the trannies on the Dakota's and from tranny makers and builders "heat is your worst enemy" I think it is worth the 75-150 dollars to add a nice heavy duty cooler and mount it on the very front of the other coolers on the truck and keep it cool.......yeah I am not going to tow much but I do push the tranny when pushing the engine and I would like that added safety by keeping it cool.......question as far as the tranmissions that come inmy Dakota where does the "5-Spd Automatic 545RFE Transmission" rate? ......My thought is you can get a 2007, 1500 or 2500 full size RAM with a 5.7 Hemi and they run this tranmission so I am thinking it would pretty heavy duty for the Dakota.....am I right ?

Old 01-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Hit_it
Rookie

lil,
The radiator contains a trans cooler, but in adding an aux cooler it will greatly extend the life of the transmission. Plus when comparing to the factory installed unit it will be greatly save you money to buy an aftermarket unit. I am not sure where the 5-45rfe ranks, but it is not being neglated in the aftermarket scene. Dodge vehicles with the 45RFE and 5-45RFE transmission include the Ram 1500 & 2500, Dakota, Durango, Jeep Grand Cherokee & Liberty CRD. Here are some links of aftermarket components that I will be adding once money and the "wife" permits.

Shift kit (Since Superchips is not going to make a microprogrammer anytime soon)
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-052930hd2.htm

Deep trans pan (3.1 quarts more than stock)
http://www.airram.com/products14_trans.htm

Quick Reply: transmission cooler