2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2002 Dakota CTM problem and fix for everyone's knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:38 PM
wnrsm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information in this thread! I'll add to the information here.

2003 Durango SLT 4x4 4.7L with the trip computer. CTM part number P56049073AK

When driving the lights would turn on by themselves. Sometimes the right headlight would go out. I was dreading the hassle of replacing the CTM because it involved having a dealer (or locksmith) add my remotes back to the vehicle.

Removing the CTM was rather easy. Disconnect the battery. Remove the driver's door sill plate by pulling straight up on it. Remove the exposed screw for the driver's kick panel. Remove the other/last/second screw on the kick panel - found to the left of the brake pedal. There's a notch in the carpet.

CTM is held in with three screws and two "guide pins." Remove the three screws and pull the CTM straight off in the direction that the screws came out. There are three electrical connectors. They're unique and keyed so they can only be connected in the correct manner.

I found that the top-most (and largest) of the three electrical connections had minor corrosion on the lower-right pin when viewed from its installed position. The rest of the pins on all the connectors were okay. I cleaned it up and applied some dielectric grease in hopes of keeping it from corroding further.

I have only had it back together for a short while. I haven't yet seen the symptoms return.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:07 PM
jennjoe4
Exclamation All lights are flashing.

I have a 2002 Dakota Quad Cad 2WD, 3.9L. I've noticed the following happening. When I turn the lights on at dark. All the lights will flash, this includes headlights, and taillights, along with dash.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aga59x6VB5kHi_Eu3wxbo5fJOZVKdg

It doesn't happen when the truck is not running, and no key in the ignition I can turn the lights on, and everything looks normal.

I've read that it may be the CTM. But i'm not sure.

On Aug 30, 2016 & Aug 31, 2016, my Dakota honked the horn all by itself as I was driving. I asked a local mechanic, but with out looking at it, he basically said that it could be the alternator.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by jennjoe4; 08-31-2016 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Adding additional information
Old 08-05-2018, 02:17 AM
nyscrod
Default Just a question about the module#

Did the old and new module # match ?

Old 03-10-2020, 12:14 AM
Travis Bennett

Originally Posted by lam71nova
This is my first post so please bear with me as this will be long. First of all this is a great site and has some exceptional information on it. Now this is what happened. I own a 2002 dakota 4WD 4.7L extended cab. Last sunday I came out from christmas shopping, hit my remote unlock and nothing happened. Unlocked the doors manually (that sucks) and got in to find that my service 4WD light was on. I get home and start pulling fuses but to no avail. Had to do some family stuff, come home and go to lock the truck and find that the interior lights, headlights, parking lights, intermittent wipers, nothing worked. So I get on the computer and start searching. I found some website saying that the automatic door locks are sometimes connected to a CTM or DMT. Search this and find dodge forums link, https://dodgeforum.com/m_320311/tm.htmthis points me to believe that the CTM or center timer module may be at fault. I call the dealer on Monday and drop the truck off on tuesday AM and explain all the symptoms and so on. They call me later that day and say it is the PDC or power distribution center which will cost me $2502 to fix. Yes that figure is correct. The PDC is the large fuse box under the hood that controls the entire truck and comes only with the complete wiring harness and costs $1400 for the part alone. Well needless to say I did not have them do this. I went and bought a Haynes Service Manual and started reading. After looking at the wiring diagrams the problem seemed clear. It was the CTM. I also need to thank user CNIII on this site as he had nearly the same problem in the link above and replied to my email with great information.My brother and I picked the truck up on Thursday, went home, and within 15 minutes knew it couldn't be the PDC because there was power to the headlamp switch and the other items. After about an hour of probing, testing and retesting we came to the conclusion that it had to be the CTM. We decided to take a run to Collis Trucks (Allentown, Pa) andsee if they had a used module.They had one from a 2001 dakota 4.7L. $50 took it home with a handshake and guarantee that if it did not work I would get my money back. Got home, plugged in the 3 proms and voila everything worked again with the exception of the key fob which needs to be programmed to this module by a dealer. So a problem that would have cost me $2500 dollars at SCOTT Chrysler and not evenfix the problem really cost me $70 ($50 part, $20 service manual) and some time. Needless to say I will never take another vehicle back there again.

I am posting this so someone with the same symptoms will know where to look. Now be careful anytime you deal with electrical items on new vehicles be careful to disconnect the battery and avoid electrical charges or static. In my case It was this or throw a boat load of money down the drain, so we took our chances. It would be great to help prevent any similar horror stories. Be careful when using the service department at SCOTT Chrysler in Allentown, Pa.

dakota power door lock problems
dakota flickering headlights
dakota CTM problems
I just bought a 02 Dakota 4.7l and I'm haveing the same problem ..... I got some smarts on automotive but I was lost on this one..... Just wanted to say thanks I will be trying this in the morning

Old 08-23-2020, 11:37 AM
mikejewett

I am having the same issues to a tee. I live in Easton and will call Collis as well. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-31-2020, 02:31 PM
mikejewett
Default Control Timer Module

This item cost me $75 and fixed all the issues. Just tell the yard the serial number. The last letter may be different than yours, but that’s ok.
Time to switch out is 10 minutes.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:25 PM
Rich916
Default Having similar issues with CTM

I have a 2001 Dakota V8 Crew Cab with power windows, doors etc. My Dakota started having issues with the exterior lights, windshield wipers, keyless entry etc not working. I troubleshot it down to the CTM, as many have done so here as well. I found that when I disconnect the battery and remove the CTM, then reinstall and reconnect the batteries, everything works. Until I drive it. Once I put about 5-10 miles on it and shut it down...a few hours later everything shuts down again. Keyless entry, wipers, lights. It all goes out. I ordered a refurbished part and it seemed to work. Took it to the dealer and the couldn't reprogram it. They ended up putting the old one back in a reprogrammed it and it worked...until that night.

Something is happening during driving that is causing it to short or stop working after it shuts down for a while. I don't wanna pay another $185 plus the price for another CTM only to have the same issue. Any ideas on why the CTM works great after disconnecting the battery and CTM to reset it and then after driving it and letting it sit for a few hours it all stops working again? As long as I don't drive it, the CTM works. I am out of ideas. Truck only has 90K miles, so I want to keep it.

Old 04-06-2024, 08:44 PM
sandbergcs

Originally Posted by Radman
My 02 4x4 4.7 Sport's CTM went nuts on me once but not as bad
as yours did.. My dome lights would not shut off. I ended up
disconnecting the battery (same as resetting the CPU) twice before
the problem *fixed* itself...

As far as dealerships (better known as Stealerships) go, you can't trust
a one anymore.. Just too bad a few of them give ALL of them a bad
name.

By the way, if that STUPID chime system drives any of you guys nuts
like it did me, remove the CTM, open it up and cut one foil trace to
the little chime in the center of the CTM. You still get all the warnings
displayed in the dash too. It can easily be soldered (bridged) back
together again if you ever want the chimes back.
QUOT

Can you elaborate on this. I'm in the ctm and I see a little red clip that looks like it connects but doesn't.

Quick Reply: 2002 Dakota CTM problem and fix for everyone's knowledge