2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02 dodge durango 3 inch body lift steering shaft replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 05:10 PM
maxokream
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 dodge durango 3 inch body lift steering shaft replacement

sup guys so I have a 02 dodge Durango 4wd 4.7 with a 3 inch body lift. was having steering issues so I decided to replace steering shaft as it had a lot of play and looked rotted out. I got a doorman steering shaft and it was 2 inches shorter (fully extended) than the one I had on there already and is too short. I found another brand that fully extends to 17.2 inches which is what the original one was and will fit. my question is, is it ok for the shaft to be fully extended to fit or should there be room for it to move both ways. if its bad to have fully extended what are my best options here? have an extension welded etc? thanks. also the problem I'm having is the steering gets stiff every quarter turn after the truck has been sitting for a couple months. power steering seems fine so this is my first job to narrow down what it could be if not the steering shaft. either way thing was shot

Old 09-06-2023, 10:59 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Yes it is fine to be fully extended. There only needs to be about 1/4" or so room for the cab to move on the cab mounts. Otherwise, the design is for a frontal impact, allows the column to collapse rather than spear you in the chest.

Old 04-06-2024, 06:50 AM
Dan876
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxokream
sup guys so I have a 02 dodge Durango 4wd 4.7 with a 3 inch body lift. was having steering issues so I decided to replace steering shaft as it had a lot of play and looked rotted out. I got a doorman steering shaft and it was 2 inches shorter (fully extended) than the one I had on there already and is too short. I found another brand that fully extends to 17.2 inches which is what the original one was and will fit. my question is, is it ok for the shaft to be fully extended to fit or should there be room for it to move both ways. if its bad to have fully extended what are my best options here? have an extension welded etc? thanks. also the problem I'm having is the steering gets stiff every quarter turn after the truck has been sitting for a couple months. power steering seems fine so this is my first job to narrow down what it could be if not the steering shaft. either way thing was shot
Hey, I have same 3 inch lift and issue with the dorman shaft being short. What was the other brand that matched the original piece?

Quick Reply: 02 dodge durango 3 inch body lift steering shaft replacement