2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Alarm system problem '97 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 01:00 AM
igorotb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm system problem '97 dakota

For the past few days, I noticed a blinking light in the dashboard, that says "security", when I turned the engine off and got out of the truck... Yesterday, theblinking light came out butthen the head light and the horn started coming on and off...I tried starting the truck but it would just start andand die... Any help would be appreciated..

Waggy

Old 01-07-2007, 01:12 AM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Alarm system problem '97 dakota

did you try starting it without a smart key? that would cause problems

Old 01-08-2007, 02:24 AM
igorotb

hello again,
I don't know what you mean by a smart key.. But today I reconnected the battery cable and the alarm is gone... Started the truck and test drove it around the block... But I still need to know what trigger this and how to reset itif it happenes again.. I haven't been using the remote door openner for sometime...

and yes, this is my first american truck...

Old 01-08-2007, 09:54 AM
offroadgolfer

Next time your factory truck alarm starts going off, get out of the truck, shut the drivers door, put your key in the lock, turn the key fully to the left, locking it , then fully to the right unlocking it, this will disable your alarm. My truck does exactly what you are describing every once in awhile, im not sure what i am doing to get it to go off like that or even how i am getting the alarm to come on, but at least i found a way to shut it off without a remote. Also i do not have a smart key, at least i dont think so, looks like a plain key to me.

Quick Reply: Alarm system problem '97 dakota