2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Tapping noise in '04 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 06:20 PM
joesmama4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping noise in '04 Durango

Hi all.... I have a 2004 Durango ST, 4.7L engine, no Hemi with about 50K miles on it. Experiencing a tapping sound AND feel under driver side floor. Took it to dealership, they replaced a tie rod & we bought new tires. Brought it home and we're still having the same problem. It usually happens after being driven for awhile or once it gets hot outside (we live in GA), usually at lower speeds, and occurs no matter if we're driving straight, turning, accelerating, coasting or braking. Took it back to the dealership, they checked the whole front end and they said it was fine. (They are also replaced the ABS system.) I know next to nothing about cars and even I know this isn't normal!! They blamed it on the ABS, but it was making this sound long before that acted up.

I've posted this on other forums and, believe it or not, a lot of other people have the same problem, but no solution. If anyone has any input or advice, I would greatly appreciate it. My husband is deployed and when I walk into the dealership, I get the distinct feeling that they think they can tell me anything they want!

PLEASE HELP!!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:18 PM
HemiDen
Rookie
Default RE: Tapping noise in '04 Durango

Trya differentdealer....

Old 08-26-2007, 08:18 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JM4:

First off, thanks to you and your hubby for serving our great country. Second, is your D a 4x 4 or 4x2??

I ask because the 4wd model has more stuff under there to go bad and make noises. Do this test. While driving down the road in lite or no traffic, put the trans in neutral while you are rolling for several seconds after the noise has started and rev the motor a bit. Does the tapping noise increase or get quicker as you push the gas pedal?? If so, the noise will be engine related and not with the axles or driveline.

If you have the 4x4, we are now seeing some folks have issues with the U joints on the front drive shafts. Might be where your issues lies, but also might not.

When you say they replaced the whole ABS system, that is really unusual and would be very expensive. Hopefully you have an extended warranty b/c at 50k, you would be expected to pay for that as the powertrain warranty would not cover it.

Let us know what you find out with this test.

Don

Old 09-03-2007, 11:26 AM
joesmama4

It's a 4x4. I took it back into the dealership and was able to replicate the sound for the tech who drove with me, thank God. He said he thinks it's something to do with the sway bars and that it's not the engine. But, I have to take it back to him tomorrow for a few days because he said it may take him awhile to find the culprit. Hopefully he can locate it because it's starting to drive me CRAZY!!! Would sway bars make this type of noise/feeling??

Oh and I did purchase an extended warranty so the ABS system didn't cost me anything. (Again, thank God!) We used to be stationed in Alaska and the sodium chloride they use on the roads when it snowscorroded something or another.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2007, 08:38 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JM4:
Glad you were abble to get it to do its thing while the wrench was along for the ride. And yes, could be the end links and/or bushings worn or otherwise defective that would allow things to rattle/vibrate when they should not.

Great to hear that you got the extended warranty. I am sure that ABS repair probably came close to paying you back for what you spent on it. Let us know how things turn out.

Good Luck Don

Old 09-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Erwinf
Professional

I read about someone that had to replace the links that goes at the end of the sway bar. The bushings wear out nad the bar started to rub against the end-link creating the noise (and a great risk of braking while driving). Don't remember the post but it has pictures of the parts.

Regards,

Old 09-09-2007, 10:55 AM
joesmama4

Aughhhh!!! I had it in last week for three days and they replaced both outer tie rods. Picked it up on Friday, drove to the grocery store, then home, and guess what?? It's still tapping, just as bad as before. I called the guy back and he was completely amazed. He said to bring it back tomorrow (Monday). I just don't understand why they can't figure it out!! After searching the internet, it's obviously a problem for quite a few people, not just me. To top it all off, our dealership doesn't have rentals and told me if I need a car, to call Enterprise! And, unfortunately, this is the only Dodge dealership within 100 miles.

I am tempted to just let my toddler run rampant there tomorrow when we drop it off to "encourage" them to figure it out!! =)

Are there ANY other suggestions out there??

Thanks again!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Erwinf
Professional

In my particular case I had the two most common noises: the "clunk" at the passenger side floor and the "rattle" at the steering wheel column. Both noise were corrected by replacing the chasis bushings located under the driver and passenger sides (for the "clunk" noise) and replacing the bushings for the brake pedal arm (for the "rattle" noise). Check your brake pedal if it has sideways play then you have bad bushings at the top of the arm and the noise is reflected through the steering column.

The "clunk" noise is usually heard at lower speeds while making "u" turns or entering at a parking lot. Any movement that requires the vehicle to flex will create the noise.

The most annoying for me was the rattle at the steering column. I took me two visits at the dealer to finally get the problem identified and corrected. Now I'm very happy with my -D-.

Hope this help.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2007, 01:01 PM
joesmama4

All right, now this is really starting to tick me off!!! Last week, they replaced the intermediate shaft and it still didn't correct it!! erwinf.....I wrote down your suggestions and gave it to the service advisor and asked him to check. When we picked up the car for the weekend on Friday, he said everything is normal. Apparently, he's called Chrysler and other dealerships. There are other vehicles that have this issue, but no one seems to be able to find the culprit. They have had my car for 16 days out of the last 3 weeks. They've ordered a part or something that you attach to the car while you're driving. What it is or what purpose it is supposed to serve, I have no idea. Once they get it, they are supposed to call me to bring it back in. They keep telling me that the vehicle is safe to drive, I think that's their way of telling me that they are done with trying to find it. I don't really care if it's safe to drive, they should still find and fix it!!

Are there ANY other suggestions out there?? Thanks for letting me vent!

Old 09-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Erwinf
Professional

I'm really sorry to hear all the problems you're having trying to get your problem solve. Sometimes we believe that dealers will alwaystry to avoid any expenses in diagnostics tasks (even if it is just watching or test driving your car).

Mine is an SLT 4.7L and my experiences were the "thumb" noise at the passenger side floor and rattle at the steering wheel. Both were corrected after two visits to my dealer. It wasn't easy also.

Hope someone else can post a different idea to try on.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Tapping noise in '04 Durango