2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2004 durango 4.7 #4 cyl misfire.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:55 PM
RIX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 durango 4.7 #4 cyl misfire.

Hello guys,

I'm new here, great forum from what I've checked out so far. Great info!

My issue: 2004 Durango 4.7 ltr with 51k mi. Recently started to show a misfire. Code scan showed "Cyl #4 misfire". Replaced plugs, coil pack and injector. No change.

#4 plug was pretty black, not wet. All other plugs were golden brown but definatly at the end of their life (all new now).

There is a ticking noise comeing from the engine (sounds like near #4 cyl). My theroy is intake valve not opening for some reason.

What do you guys think? Any other info you need or suggestions would be great. My next step is compression test unless you have other ideas.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:59 AM
x99j
Rookie

try a compression test! but more important if you have noise under the valve cover you have a rocker arm that has popped loose.

did you just by this vehicle? what is the history?

Old 01-27-2009, 08:03 AM
RIX

The vehical is my girlfriends, she has had it about 1.5 years. She bought it used with about 20k on it, has 51 now. Regular oil changes etc. She does not beat on it, takes good care of it. Although she borrowed it to a girlfriend of her's recently, when she got it back it was doing this.

If its the rocker arm, does that mean there are normally other broken items? Extensive damage to that cyl? Or can the rocker arm be replaced or adjusted?

Also can the truck be run any further as it is without causing more damage?

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:03 AM
x99j
Rookie

usually they just pop them back in and your on your way! but most people that have had it happen report it on motors that had little to none oil changes. the lash adjusters get gummed up. it usually pops off when starting the vehicle cold.

you could also have broken valve spring or a burnt valve? but a compression test should tell if you will need to open the valve cover up or if one of the plugs coil pack injectors you replaced are bad!

Old 01-27-2009, 11:12 AM
RIX

Well she has only been my GF for a few months, prior to that beyond what she told me the vehical was maintained well. I just changed the oil, it was very dirty so who knows on the history and her idea of regular oil changes.

I will compression check, if good pull the valve cover and check the rocker arm, hopefully can pop the rocker back in place and move on with life.

We are up in Minnesota and it has been very cold 15-30 below zero at night during many of the last months nights. It all kind of makes sense I guess. The noise I hear definatly sounds like a tick/knock on the #4 cyl side at the top of the engine.

I guess I have a plan now at least. Is there any special concerns with pulling the valve cover? Can I reuse the gasket, any torquing issues to worry about?

Again I really appreciate your help X99J.
RIX

Old 01-27-2009, 11:14 AM
x99j
Rookie

you aren't going to get much action in the 2nd gen durango forum. try searching in the 3rd gen ram forum. they have the same motor.

try this thread:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...03-0304-a.html

and this one:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-out-what.html

Old 01-27-2009, 11:17 AM
x99j
Rookie

also if it is the rocker arm you want to inspect the lifter/ lash adjuster really good! they are cheap to replace!

i got to go plow snow i will be back on later. mike

Old 01-28-2009, 09:15 AM
RIX

Hello X99J: Also is it required to replace the valve cover gasket if I remove it or is that gasket reusable?

Is the process for adjusting the lifter lash adjuster listed out anywhere online or do I need to buy a hayes manual or similar?

Thanks, RIX

Old 01-28-2009, 12:36 PM
x99j
Rookie

Originally Posted by RIX
Hello X99J: Also is it required to replace the valve cover gasket if I remove it or is that gasket reusable?

Is the process for adjusting the lifter lash adjuster listed out anywhere online or do I need to buy a hayes manual or similar?

Thanks, RIX
the friend of mine that had the problem reused his gasket, but i think he got lucky, so you will have to see what shape it is in.

but in the case of the lash adjuster they are not adjustable, they are replacement only. the "sludge" gets caught up in the lash adjuster, which is why when it is a real cold start, the oil doesn't pump the lash adjuster up like it should and the rocker pops off.

good luck let us know what the compression test reveals!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:58 PM
RIX

Very good Thanks again for all of your help.

I'll post again the final outcome in case it will help others in the future.

RIX

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 durango 4.7 #4 cyl misfire.