2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Does anyone know the answer? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:19 PM
freddybeach
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know the answer? Please help!

I just baught a 2004 durango slt. I noticed it only has awd and 4 lock. It does not have the 4 low option. Does this mean I am going to get stuck? I do a little offroading. Basically in and out of the camp road. A little mud here and there. Thanks I hope I didn't waste my money. What is 4 lock? Is it 4 low or 4 high or neither. Thanks 1st time truck/SUV owner.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:38 PM
mahowaldjl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Freddy - it sounds like you have the NV 144 transfer case. The 4 lock position locks the transfer case so the front and rear drive axles rotate at the same speed. There are still open differentials in the front and back, but this helps improve traction for loose or slippery surfaces. The NV 244 transfer case has a 4 lo position which provides the same locking function as the 4 lock, but a low gear range for when a high torque at low speed is needed. The people I have talked to that have this don't use it. Unless you plan on climbing steep hills or pulling a dock out of a lake, you probably do not need it. 4 Lo will not do much to keep from getting stuck.

Quick Reply: Does anyone know the answer? Please help!