2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Poorman's Replacement Key Solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:34 PM
katrich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poorman's Replacement Key Solution

Over the years my keys have been lost or broken or the circuitry has worn out. A new key costs $215 at the dealer. There is a web site listed on another thread where keys cost $109 plus $40 at the dealer for programming.

Since my buttons stopped working on my key, I've gotten used to having to using the key to unlock doors. A regular key at the Dealer's with no buttons cost $15 and is much slimmer compared to the bulkier key fob and after market autostart.

I just wish my car wouldn't autolock once I start it. That has gotten me into trouble numerous times. I've tried to do the on/off at the ignition to turn it off, but keeps coming back.

Kathy in Alaska

Old 06-16-2011, 03:04 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a programming process that turns off the auto-lock feature. Since you need to have the dealer program the new key (bite the bullet and go ahead and have them do it) have them change the programming on that feature too while you are there. Shouldn't cost you any extra for that. If it does, they are stealing from you. Should all be able to be completed (reprogramming of auto-lock feature and reprogramming of key) all at the same time.

HTH,

IndyDurango

Old 06-16-2011, 06:36 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The manual will detail how to shut off the auto lock,
FF

Old 06-17-2011, 12:44 PM
katrich

I've tried turning the ignition off and on, but perhaps because my key's buttons don't work, the programmed part also doesn't work. Although when I've turned the ignition off and on multiple times, I did hear the click or beep. I take it once you've turned them off, it's suppose to stay like that until you undo the on/off action.

\On the same note, my engine light went on for a day last week. I tried to see the engine codes CEL listed on the odometer, but that didn't work either.

So when I get a regular job, I'll add getting a new key to the list of things "I can finally take care of".

Kathy in Alaska

Old 06-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Moparz

I swear I saw procedures to both turn off the auto-lock and program your own key-fobs to both activate and deactivate key fobs. You just have to program all the ones you want programed to that vehicle with 60 seconds of starting the programing. Unless you're talking about a different type of programming.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:51 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have read multiple places that you need two already programmed key FOBs to program additional units, but I have not physically confirmed this myself.

On my '01 Ram, all I need is one existing programmed unit. For the newer models, you supposedly need two.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:21 PM
ps0303

I have an '05 and I recently purchased a new key FOB off Ebay and since I still had two working keys, I was able to follow the directions on how to program the new FOB. Worked like a champ. The new key FOB was an uncut key. Once I was done I then opened the FOB and put the guts into the cut key unit that stopped working.

New FOB was around $70-75.

Quick Reply: Poorman's Replacement Key Solution