2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Modifications....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:21 AM
ModdedHemiMonster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifications....

I am looking for DIY modifications to my '07 Durango 5.7 Hemi. I can find a lot of stuff for the 04-06 durangos but dont know what will and wont fit on my 07.

Can someone help with the whole torsion key/ leveling out front end thing. I am confused on how to do it but i would like the front end as high as the back.

I am looking to cut holes in the rear bumper to run 3" Magnaflow dual exhaust system, thoughts?

Any word on power programmers? How well do they work? Which ones work better? Any have the ability to tune one way for economy, and also tune a different way for power?

Also, I have found the STS rear turbo system, is that the only forced insduction system for the durango available? I have talked to magnacharger and they are coming out with the 5.7 hemi system soon.

Any help would be great.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:20 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Diablo Predator sport tuner is a great tuner. Procharger makes a supercharger for the Ram that SHOULD fit a Durango. You will need exhaust headers, exhaust system, and ported heads if you get a supercharger,
FF

Old 07-10-2010, 06:24 PM
piercejb

well the leveling kit is easy... as long as you have a torsion bar unloading tool (this is crucial!) if you have this tool or (a little hint) a ball joint press which can be rented at auto zone the mod should take minutes... This is how i would describe to you how to do it step by step

1. just jack the car up so all pressure is off of the torsion bar 2. then take the bolt in the torsion key completely out 3. then place the top of the tb tool on the frame that sits above the factory torsion keys 4. then screw the bolt on the tb tool upward until it is in the hole on the torsion key (not the one the torsion bolt was in there should be another one further toward the outside of the car) then continue to screw it upward until you are able to remove the small platform that keeps the key in place (looks like a small half cylinder which the torsion bolt originally ran through) 5. then slowly bring the bolt on the tb tool back down relieving the pressure on the torsion bars 6. once that is done slide the torsion bar forward and remove the key (sometimes it wont slide forward easily or at all so just be creative taking it off if this happens) 7. then put on the new key and use the tb tool to tighten it up then reinsert the half cylinder platform bring the key back down so it rests on the platform then re insert the bolt that runs through the cylinder and tighten it till the front is level....
I recommend ready lift the directions will come with visual aids.
Just remember! there are HUGE pressures involved so be careful and make sure your tool will not slip off the frame while removing the torsion bars!!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:41 PM
alpo18

Wow! I did that all wrong I guess. I did the Torsion Bar Lift by simply crancking in the existing bolts. I personally did not want to go completely "Level" as I did not want the rear to appear to sag when loaded/Towing, but high enough to install 285/70R17's. I gained substantial height and still have bolt left for more increase. I researched this accross two forums and this seems to be the consensus - REMEMBER to get the suggested alignment when you are satisfied with the lift. I have seen the commenst regarding the replacement keys but I have not heard a goos arguement for them either. IF anyone knows of any detremental effects of simply using the existing keys PLEASE speak out. (By the way, the "D" looks extremely improved with the lifted front)

Old 07-10-2010, 09:32 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've never been given a good reason to install keys as opposed to just cranking the bolts. They both increase the angle of the CV joints on a 4x4 (not the greatest thing to do to them) and they both will harshen the ride a bit.

Crank 'em...

Old 07-11-2010, 10:18 AM
piercejb

I went with the new keys and i was able to fit 285/75/r17 nitto terra grapplers. They are 34 inch tires and don't rub at all. I guess there is not much difference between the keys and just cranking the bolts other than when the torsion bars begin to sag the keys have already relocated them so i have more bolt left to crank them up....

Quick Reply: Modifications....