2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Fan Clutch Don't Engage

Old 05-24-2011, 05:35 PM
suesky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fan Clutch Don't Engage

Hello everyone ! Im new to this forum i have a 2004 Durango 4.7lt and im having problems with the fan clutch wont engage when it gets hot its not over heating to HOT but its above normal . It will go above the middle temp. mark when im going up hill. I been researching alot in the past about this problem i put in a new water pump, radiator cap, radiator, try afew fan clutch from originals and after markets. I still dont get any engage when im in traffic or when car is park from a long drive. I havent done or check for a head gasket leak , other then that im out of ideas . Any answer or tip that would be so helpful.

Thanks everyone for viewing this..

Old 05-24-2011, 07:48 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suesky:
Sounds like you have thrown a lot of parts in there. How long have you owned it, and was the cooling system ever serviced?

Did you perform the burping procedure that the 4.7 engines require to get all of the air out of the system after refilling it?

Does it overheat at idle, or just when going down the road. Obviously, when you are working the engine on a hill or pulling a load etc, it will run a bit warmer. A needle width or two above the midway mark is not an issue.

Much higher than that though, and and the reason needs to be investigated.

Don

Old 05-24-2011, 08:17 PM
suesky
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan Clutch Don't Engage

i own the car for about alittle over 6yrs now and i havent dont any of the burping procedure that the 4.7 engines require to get all of the air out of the system after refilling it. Not sure how to do that, i did change antifreeze coolant when i did the new radiator but havent dont a flush. While driving on the road the temp stay under the normal line mark it creep every here and there there are time it will sit right on the middle mark line temp.

I remember before i have a over heat problem i can still hear the fan clutch engage and after i had the over heat problem cause of bad water pump and radiator. After replacing everything i said thing wasnt the same as before. Not sure if my radiator wholes are bad or im using the wrong coolant.

thanks...

Old 05-26-2011, 09:38 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Suesky:

If the gauge is not going more than mid way or a needleswidth above middle, I would say you are ok. What kind of temps are outside when this is happening?

The burping process involves idling the D while opening up the small brass valve located where the upper radiator hose attaches to the engine.

During this process, have both front and rear (if equipped) heaters on high. It also helps to slightly raise the front of the D a bit.

Air bubbles will exit the valve and as this happens add coolant through the radiator cap. When you cannot add any more, the system should be purged and the brass valve is closed.

I then take it for a drive, and watch the temp gauge to make sure nothing goes awry.

Don

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fan Clutch Don't Engage