2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Wireless Control Module?? Need Help

Old 10-30-2010, 04:59 PM
06Hemi5.7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless Control Module?? Need Help

My wife tried to start the durango and it cranked and started for a second and then immediately died. She tried again a little later and nothing happened. She had it towed to the dealership and they said it is the wireless control module and it takes forever to get one in. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there any other way to fix it or at least get it to start so I can get it home...this all happened 400 miles away from home. Thanks

Old 10-30-2010, 06:16 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a module go out on Coronet and it would not start unless I jumped it with a portable battery jumper. It would run fine after that, but then it got worse as the problem progressed. After awhile it would stall and die a few minutes after it was jumped. You may be able to find one at a junk yard instead of the dealer overcharging you,
FF

Old 11-01-2010, 11:41 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Your durango doesn't have a WCM module, it has a skreem module. And yes i have some problems getting a new module and keys from chrysler. They are on backorder. Here is some information on how the system works.
DESCRIPTION

The Sentry Key REmote Entry Module (SKREEM) (1) is sometimes referred to as the Wireless Control Module (WCM). The SKREEM is the primary component of the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS). It is also the receiver for the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system. The SKREEM is located on the right side of the steering column, near the ignition lock cylinder housing and is concealed beneath the steering column shrouds. The molded black plastic housing for the SKREEM has an integral molded plastic halo-like antenna ring (4) that extends from the bottom. When the SKREEM is properly installed on the steering column, the antenna ring is oriented around the circumference of the ignition lock cylinder housing.

A single integral connector receptacle (3) is located just behind the antenna ring on the bottom of the SKREEM housing. An integral molded plastic mounting tab (2) on the rear corner of the SKREEM housing has a hole in the center through which a screw passes to secure the unit to the steering column. The SKREEM is connected to the vehicle electrical system through a single take out and connector of the instrument panel wire harness.

Two SKREEM modules are used: one for vehicles equipped with RKE only, and one for vehicles equipped with RKE and SKIS. The SKREEM cannot be adjusted or repaired. If ineffective or damaged, the entire SKREEM unit must be replaced.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:01 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My key sometimes will not trun in the ignition even if I turn the wheel side to side. A couple of minutes later it will turn with no hesitation. I wonder if my SKREEM is going?
FF

Old 11-02-2010, 11:52 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

That would be the ignition cylinder.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:30 PM
dalair

I have a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan. Recently I had a after market DVD player install on 5/15/12. They wired it up from the cigarette lighter. Saturday 5/19/12 was the first time I played the DVD player. I drove a total of 16 miles and parked my car. When I returned back from shoping my car will not start. Right now my car is at the dealer. They report the wireless control module is bad. My question can the DVD player I had install cause the wireless module to go out due to the way it was wired.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 PM
pcmedicnet

Originally Posted by master tech
Welcome to DF
Your durango doesn't have a WCM module, it has a skreem module. And yes i have some problems getting a new module and keys from chrysler. They are on backorder. Here is some information on how the system works.
DESCRIPTION

The Sentry Key REmote Entry Module (SKREEM) (1) is sometimes referred to as the Wireless Control Module (WCM). The SKREEM is the primary component of the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS). It is also the receiver for the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system. The SKREEM is located on the right side of the steering column, near the ignition lock cylinder housing and is concealed beneath the steering column shrouds. The molded black plastic housing for the SKREEM has an integral molded plastic halo-like antenna ring (4) that extends from the bottom. When the SKREEM is properly installed on the steering column, the antenna ring is oriented around the circumference of the ignition lock cylinder housing.

A single integral connector receptacle (3) is located just behind the antenna ring on the bottom of the SKREEM housing. An integral molded plastic mounting tab (2) on the rear corner of the SKREEM housing has a hole in the center through which a screw passes to secure the unit to the steering column. The SKREEM is connected to the vehicle electrical system through a single take out and connector of the instrument panel wire harness.

Two SKREEM modules are used: one for vehicles equipped with RKE only, and one for vehicles equipped with RKE and SKIS. The SKREEM cannot be adjusted or repaired. If ineffective or damaged, the entire SKREEM unit must be replaced.
Thank you for the info about these differences. I have a 2008 Dodge Caravan SXT 3.8 V6 with side door remote opening. I have no remote start. My gear shifter is locked and the dashboard is dead. These all happened when I was fiddling with the key switch with the door open and the panic alarm went off. After reading various post it seems that that could have disabled my Wireless Control Module (WCM). My door locks, headlights and dome lights all work. I have unplugged the battery (over night) and checked fuses.

Can you give me advise me about the type of equipment that is in my van. I came across a pdf file from MOPAR "Dealer installed Factory Remote Start Components - Dodge Grand Caravan Chrysler Town & Country (RT) - Installation Instructions" It seems to give instructions that would help if I was to try this on my own, even though I don't have a remote starter. This document explains the steps for the dealer to set up the codes and and the order of events that need to be done. It seems like I could do this install and pay for the dealer to do the code install. Am I crazy. Money is extremely tight and if I make this a $250 job instead of a $500 -600 dealer job it would really help.

Looking towards the future with you,
Rob

Old 12-12-2021, 09:57 AM
Irwin Billiot
Amateur

does a 2001 ram 1500 5.2l have a wcm/skreem? i have never had a remote entry fob thing and the truck worked fine for a year then suddenly the truck started stalling after 15 minutes of running then it would have a crank no-start or a "no-bus" no codes show on scanner. then 10 minutes or so later and and starts up. and i have already replaced an insane amount of parts i'm now trying to figure out if its some type of alarm.

taking out the iod fuse for 10 secs fixes the problem momentarially.

Last edited by Irwin Billiot; 12-13-2021 at 09:53 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wireless Control Module?? Need Help