Squeaking Noise At Front End

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 12:32 AM
drewus
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squeaking Noise At Front End

Hi all, 2006 5.7L Hemi 115k

I changed the front brakes on my 06 two days ago. All of a sudden, every time I go over a bump I hear a squeaking metallic sound. When I turn the wheels at a stand still, I hear the squeaking metallic sound. Does anyone know why that sound is occurring? I never heard that sound before. I checked the bushings at the front end and they all seem fine. I checked the brakes and they look fine. I went under the truck and pushed the truck upward and it made the squeaking metallic sound. I stepped on the running boards and rocked the truck and can hear the squeaking metallic sound. I can't seem to pinpoint where the sound is coming from.
Any ideas what is causing the sound?
Thanks in advance!

Old 06-10-2018, 07:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Ball joint would be my guess.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:34 PM
drewus
Amateur

I replaced the tierods and the sound is still there. I tried tracing the sound but, can't find it. I think it might be coming from the lower control arm on the passenger side, where the torsion bars connect to. Is that common?
Does anyone know the common front end squeaking sounds are located? I replaced the tie rods and sway bar links so far.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:00 PM
drewus
Amateur

I greased all the joints but, the creaking sound is still apparent.My wife drives the truck with the kids. I'm very worried something will break. The creaking sound is very loud. Sounds like it's coming form the passenger side. Can the sound come form the torsion bars, where it meets with the knuckle? I can't think of anything else, since I greased everything, while the wheels were off the ground to let off the load so I can squeeze between the joints and rubber. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure I didn't overlook any areas.
Thanks in advance..

Old 07-18-2018, 02:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Can you just bounce it in the driveway by hand, to get it to make the noise?

Old 07-19-2018, 10:19 AM
drewus
Amateur

Yes. I can stand by the front of the truck and rock it and it will creak. If I am at a stop sign and when I accelerate, it creaks. When I go over any bump, it creaks. When I turn the steering wheel from side to side, it creaks. I replaced both sway bar end links and the driver side tie rod. The upper and lower control arms all look good. No tears, no damage. It sounds like it's coming from the front passenger wheel. I've tried to chase down the sound but can't locate it. I went under the truck and push the truck upward and it creaks but, I just can't find the source. It's really rusty where the torsion bars meet the knuckle or lower control arm (not sure what that part is called). I greased every bushing, bolt that I can think of, even where the shocks connect to the frame. It sounds like something is going to snap but, nothing looks damaged.I jacked up the wheels off the ground to relieve the load on the suspension so I can grease all cracks and crevices but, the creaking is still there..

I'm hoping someone knows the common sounds coming from the front suspension, that way it will help me find the source. I would greatly appreciate anybody's help...

Old 07-19-2018, 10:22 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I think someone mentioned ball joints.....

Old 07-20-2018, 07:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do you have greaseable ball joints? I'm with Mr. Keaton here......

Old 07-20-2018, 08:39 AM
drewus
Amateur

No I don't. The one I replaced is now a greasable ball joint. The passenger side tie rod is not greasable. It's the original tie rod but, it looks fine. Here's what happened. I jacked up the car one day to replace the brake pads on both front wheels. The next day the car started to squeak. I noticed the driver side tie rod's rubber was torn so I replaced it. The squeaking was still apparent so, I replaced the sway bar bushings but, the squeaking was still there. So, I jacked up the front end to relieve the load and greased all the joints and bolts but, the squeaking is still there.
It's a 2006 5.7L with 116k. It's rusty thanks to the wonderful upstate NY winters.
I am clueless on where the creaking is coming from. I'm at a loss..

Old 07-20-2018, 06:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Crawl under there, have someone bounce it just enough to get it to squeak, (but, not enough to embed it in your chest.....) Put your finger on various parts, the one that is squeaking, you should be able to feel it. Likely one of the joints you can't grease.

Quick Reply: Squeaking Noise At Front End