2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Steering rack bushings?

Old 11-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Edd
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack bushings?

Do the steering rack's bushings need to be replaced at some point? My Durango's front end makes knocking sounds when doing slow but sharp turns. I've checked upper and lower control arms, ball joints, tie rods and everything seems to be OK. However, I checked the steering rack and I saw the bushings that go with the bolts they don't seem to be good so, they don't look round, they look more deformed.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:42 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Edd,

There was a recall on on the right steering knuckle on some 2007 Durango and Aspens. I have listed the recall below. If you PM me your VIN I can tell you if this recall pertains to your vehicle and if it was ever performed if it does apply.

Safety Recall F48 – Right Steering Knuckle
2007 (HB) Dodge Durango
2007 (HG) Chrysler Aspen

NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles built from July 24, 2006 through September 1, 2006 (MDH 072406 through 090110).
IMPORTANT: Many of the vehicles within the above build period have already been inspected or repaired and, therefore, have been excluded from this recall. In addition, a small number of 2004 (HB) through 2006 (HB) model year vehicles that have had a suspect replacement right steering knuckle installed between July 21, 2006 through October 19, 2006 according to our records, have been added to this recall. Every effort should be made by dealers to review their records and contact owners who have purchased a right steering knuckle shipped to dealers between July 21, 2006 through October 19, 2006.
The right steering knuckle on about 5,000 of the above vehicles may have been improperly manufactured and could break. This may cause a loss of steering control and result in a crash without warning.
Models
IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement to apply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.
Subject
Repair
The right steering knuckle must be inspected and replaced if necessary.
© Copyright 2006, DaimlerChrysler Corporation, All Rights Reserved
Safety Recall F48 – Right Steering Knuckle Page 2

Old 11-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Edd
Amateur

Thanks for that notice, but actually my truck was built on march of 07, so I think that doesn't apply to my truck.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:15 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"If the shoe fits"

Doesn't mean the same fix doesn't apply. Just means you don't get it for free via recall.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:39 AM
jkoons71

Edd,

Are you hearing a knocking sound, or more like a "creaking" sound. I have a 2006 Durango and I am hearing noises while turning (but also going over bumps/rough terrain). Could bad bushings be my issue as well?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering rack bushings?