2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Major changes

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 02:48 AM
Durangatang01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major changes

Good day,

While having a discussion with a friend on the validity of diesel powerplants, I explained to him that one of the things I would like to do with my Durango is this:

I was thinking of removing the entire drivetrain and replacing it with the powerpack from a RAM2500 diesel (06-07 model year).

This actually triggered a discussion on whether this sort of upgrade/change was even possible. I have spoken to mechanics and most have been puzzled at the mere thought of me wanting to do this. A few have even asked me why I simply wouldn't just buy the pick-up truck and be done with it... They have a point but at this time, I am simply trying to figure out if it was even possible. I am sure the 6.7 liter Cummins wouldn't fit inside the Durango's engine bay or would it? At this stage, I was thinking the 5.9L powerplant and powertrain would be the equipment I would transfer.

Bottom line: Is this possible or am I dreaming?

Any feedback would be awesome!

The intent is to turn my Durango into a project vehicle in four years time.

Cheers!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:45 PM
extremis
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the diesel would be too long and too tall to fit in the Durango engine bay. Both the diesels you mention are in essence the same physical size engine block. I am picking up my new used Durango this weekend, and comparing to my RAM2500 with just the Hemi in them, the Durango looks packed under the hood as it is. Remember, the Hemi is only 4 cylinders long as its V8 (2 banks of 4), the Cummins is a straight 6. A very large cubic inch straight 6.

Quick Reply: Major changes