2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2005 A/C problems

Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 AM
chevelle656
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 A/C problems

I have had several problems with my wife's durango a/c. The a/c started to fade while driving one day, of course when it was 95+ outside. Naturally I thought it was low on refrigerant. Wrong. The ac compressor was going out. the low side pressure was ok but the high side was way low and the a/c compressor itself was engaging and turning really slow. I installed a new compressor, the right way, flushed the entire system and replaced the dryer and pressure switch (pressure switch was cheap and I figured I had the system apart anyhow). Charged it all up and still was warm. Everything was reading correctly on the low side and high side telling me the compressor was running correctly. The temp would not go below 88 inside the cab. even while driving. the fan comes on for the condenser and runs as it should. The rear a/c is the same temp also(not sure of previously as both of us never ride in the back seat) So I replaced the expansion valve, for the front a/c, next because I noticed the line was not getting cool like they should. The line that should be cold is warm. Still no cold a/c, not even cool a/c. I am very mechanical have never had a/c in a vehicle make me scratch my head like this one. I have read that people have a bad or stuck blend door. All of that seems to be fine. Goes to heat and back again. It's like the system does not ever get cold enough. All my other trucks the lines get cold enough that they drip all over. not this one. And it has been 100+ here in TX and my wife has been driving one of my trucks instead. I wanted to fix this a/c myself, I have done many a/c systems and never had a problem and don't want to cave into taking it in.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 AM
kmhexplus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chevelle656
I have had several problems with my wife's durango a/c. The a/c started to fade while driving one day, of course when it was 95+ outside. Naturally I thought it was low on refrigerant. Wrong. The ac compressor was going out. the low side pressure was ok but the high side was way low and the a/c compressor itself was engaging and turning really slow. I installed a new compressor, the right way, flushed the entire system and replaced the dryer and pressure switch (pressure switch was cheap and I figured I had the system apart anyhow). Charged it all up and still was warm. Everything was reading correctly on the low side and high side telling me the compressor was running correctly. The temp would not go below 88 inside the cab. even while driving. the fan comes on for the condenser and runs as it should. The rear a/c is the same temp also(not sure of previously as both of us never ride in the back seat) So I replaced the expansion valve, for the front a/c, next because I noticed the line was not getting cool like they should. The line that should be cold is warm. Still no cold a/c, not even cool a/c. I am very mechanical have never had a/c in a vehicle make me scratch my head like this one. I have read that people have a bad or stuck blend door. All of that seems to be fine. Goes to heat and back again. It's like the system does not ever get cold enough. All my other trucks the lines get cold enough that they drip all over. not this one. And it has been 100+ here in TX and my wife has been driving one of my trucks instead. I wanted to fix this a/c myself, I have done many a/c systems and never had a problem and don't want to cave into taking it in.
I dont know the exact name of it but it is a a/c door that opens and shuts behind the control panel somewhere more than likely that is the problem. Sorry so vague w/ the answer. Hope it helps a
little.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:07 AM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It is called a blend door.
FF

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 A/C problems