2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Torsion/Shackle lift question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 01:37 PM
jasonbterry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Torsion/Shackle lift question...

long time lurker, first time poster...
i'm looking to get just a smidge more height on my D'ango and info on T/S lifts is hard to come by for this body style. I have no desire to go bigger than stock with my tires, so i'm planning to only at 1.5" to 2" max on my ride height... from what i understand, if i'm only doing a moderate lift i can maintain all stock parts on my front end when i crank the bar. i also estimate that a 1.5" lift will not put a great deal of stress on ball joints, etc. as for the rear end, there seems to be a lot of talk about "leveling" which wouldn't require much, if any lift in the back end. what are the advantages to leveling vs raising all four corners equally? if i raise the back end, i'd plan to use some appropriately sized replacement shackles. is this the advisable practice? what of these "adjustable shackle bars" from AZ? ( http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=540393_0_0_ ) anyone used them or have thoughts on them? seems that it could be a viable option for a minor increase like the one i'm shooting for.
i'd love to hear any pointers on the actual how to and process from any of you who have done a similar mod to your gen2... i believe there are a few of us out there.
i don't do a ton of off-roading or towing, but i like to have my vehicle ready to be as helpful as possible in as many different situations as possible.
Please note that my D'ango is an AWD model... i understand that can make a difference in some cases, though i'm not privy to the reason why...
thanks for all the help in advance. i appreciate your time to help out a guy like me. have an awesome day :-)

Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 AM
extremis
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my local shop crank the torsion bars when I went in for an alignment. Basically enough to make the front and rear ride same height. Running basically stick tires. No change on shocks or anything. So far seems ok. My D is AWD as well. Not sure that means much either. Overall the front ends would be the same, just the transfer case is different.

Quick Reply: Torsion/Shackle lift question...