2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

2007 Dodge Durango problem, need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:17 PM
Dodgefan07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Dodge Durango problem, need help

I have a 2007 Dodge Durango with a fair amount of miles on it and for the past couple of months it's been doing this strange thing where I start it up and the engine runs rough but kill it and start it right back up and then it runs rough for about 20 seconds and then smooths out like there's no problem. So I'm needing help on trying to figure out what it is and if you know then please do let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by Dodgefan07; 05-12-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Welcome to DF! Let me move this to the correct section for ya. (2nd Gen Durango.)

Old 05-13-2016, 02:39 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Does that thing gotta a Hemi?

Old 05-15-2016, 11:41 PM
Dodgefan07

Originally Posted by 1969CoronetR/T
Does that thing gotta a Hemi?
Nope it has a 4.6L v8 with flex fuel

Old 05-18-2016, 05:02 AM
Bill C

Originally Posted by Dodgefan07
I have a 2007 Dodge Durango with a fair amount of miles on it and for the past couple of months it's been doing this strange thing where I start it up and the engine runs rough but kill it and start it right back up and then it runs rough for about 20 seconds and then smooths out like there's no problem. So I'm needing help on trying to figure out what it is and if you know then please do let me know. Thanks!
I'm no expert on Dodge vehicles, only had a few, but from reading various posts and working on my recently purchased 05 5.7 Durango. First, have you messed with the throttle body at all(cleaned it, etc), when I cleaned my TB, would run rough, sometimes
Stall then smooth out and run fine, next start same thing. To fix I disconnected neg battery cable, turn key to make sure computer resets, and then reconnect neg battery, zero issues after that. If that doesn't work, could be bad sensor, throttle body going bad, or possibly EGR going out. Did you run a code reader in it? Mine set off a code but never had a check engine light. Cheap way to read codes, you can buy a $8-$10 obd2 Bluetooth adaptor on Amazon, eBay etc, download torque app on phone(is free) and you can read codes, monitor every sensor available in the Durango, reset check engine light etc, think the add on for manufacturer specific packs for the torque app is like $8. Can use app on any car from 2006 to current. Free app resets codes, can see rpm, temps, intake air temp etc, the add on is best for vehicles with more advanced things like turbos.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:05 AM
polarbear92

Originally Posted by Dodgefan07
Do you have any idea when the plugs were changed last? You could have a simple misfire. A lot of times with a misfire the engine will run rough until the computer can adjust the timing enough to compensate for the issue. You could also have a coil issue. Or throttle body like Bill C said. Is the check engine light on? I've found with my Durango that it will have stored codes without the light on, maybe have it scanned and see what comes up?

Old 06-15-2016, 12:07 AM
haydensdad916

I'm no expert, but if your still having the issue I would definitely get a tune up done, get the throttle body cleaned out, and if that doesn't work then get a diagnostic done.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:56 PM
tattoohead
Professional

Yep, so many things could make it do that--that's when I just drop it off at my mechanic's place.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:50 AM
usmanovic

Hi..
well are there any signs on the dashboard... would like to know if there are any...one good way of resetting all signs is removing battery -ve terminal..it helps sometimes.. i had some strange starting issue, throttle control sign would come on.. engine will miss sometimes... what i did was use Liqui moly (German injector cleaner) in my car... take 2 liqui moly cans for injector cleaning and fill your fuel tank fully... once The tank is full add these 2 cans to the fuel tank...do it for the next 3 consecutive fuel tank fillings... .. I hope you are using the 5W-20/30 Synthetic Oil for your engine...
will wait for your reply once you are done
Also consider about changing your spark plugs and use the recommended ones but made in Japan.. Densos are good ones if originally Japanese brand could be found..
you can thank me later

Last edited by usmanovic; 10-09-2016 at 06:54 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Dodge Durango problem, need help