DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-durango-70/)
-   -   06 Durango 5.7 whining noise (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-durango/404667-06-durango-5-7-whining-noise.html)

dctaz37 06-17-2017 11:02 AM

06 Durango 5.7 whining noise

My D has 107,000 km on it and there is a whining noise that increases with RPM. I did some preliminary checks and the belt looks okay but I can't pinpoint where the noise is coming from. I did find that the idler/tension pulley has some play in it when you twist it. Should there be any play there? Suggestions please.

Larry Stevens 06-17-2017 08:32 PM

Have you tested the alternator? Checked the power steering fluid?

On mine is what one of the idlers, don't remember which one. As soon as it was replaced with a new belt the other one started to go (need to do that when I do my front end work).

dctaz37 06-18-2017 10:32 AM

The alternator doesn't have any play and the steering fluid is good. The tension pulley has some play but I checked a new one out yesterday and it also has the same amount of play. Unfortunately you have to buy the whole tension assembly here and not just the pulley. I may have to take the belt off and check for play with it off. Another post I found was a guy put a long screwdriver on a javex bottle with the bottom off and that really amplifies the noise to determine the faulty/failing part.

Larry Stevens 06-18-2017 03:42 PM

I wasn't referring to play. My tensioner wasn't loose when it went, the bearings seized up. A whine doesn't have to be from play, it can be from old worn out bearings.

When mine seized it took the belt with it. The only symptom I had prior was a whine that I couldn't identify.

dctaz37 06-30-2017 03:41 PM

My boss who is an ex mechanic seemed to think it is a hydraulic noise. I put a bottle off power steering fluid with additives in but made no difference. I'm not sure what to do next. The noise only happens when the RMP goes up. I checked with a Stethoscope and it sounds like the pulley on the water pump is making the most noise, not sure if it is actually just the regular noise but it is a lot louder than the rest. I'm assuming that is the lower idler pulley, correct?

Bill C 07-10-2017 08:04 PM

My 05 5.7 had a whine and click sound, I replaced both pullies, no help. Had ac refilled and noise went away.

dctaz37 07-11-2017 08:59 AM

I kind of wondered if it had something to do with the AC because I just had it in to get a charge shortly before the noise started.

dctaz37 07-27-2017 10:23 AM

I replaced the two idler pulleys, tension pulley and the belt. No more noise. The lower idler pulley was the culprit.

OnlyMuscle 07-27-2017 06:01 PM

Whining noise

My friend used to have a 2005 Chrysler 300, and we were in the car one time and then we noticed a whining noise that wouldn't stop. It almost sounded like a supercharger his transmission ended up dying the next day.