2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Durango lift gate lock malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:10 PM
captainkf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango lift gate lock malfunction

Hello all, I have had our 06 Durango for a few years now and have had this problem with it for the entire time. Lucky for us it appeared shortly after we bought it. Like many, our rear lift gate lock is malfunctioning. It does not respond to unlocking with any door switches or fobs. The mechanism makes no sound. It does however when it is “re-locked”. We figured out how to manually unlock it from inside the truck when the hatch gets stuck. However, this is not an actual resolution.

We we have had it to three dealerships to look at it, always at least $200 for a diagnostic and re flash. This solves the problem for a couple days, then it’s back. The mechanism itself has been removed, cleaned and lubed. No one can solve the issue. It is electronic I believe. I think it has to do with a sensor that is ending or blocking information that then causes the computer to throw a code. Disconnecting the battery, leaving it for half an hour then re attaching it can often re set the computer and it works. Also if I keep pushing the button it will eventually work.
This has made the truck basically useless as it’s a summer tow vehicle, kid/dog hauler and we need constant access to the hatch. With heavy duty fishing gear and a few tools, I created a hidden manual trunk release that manually releases the hatch, but the lock itself is unplugged. So if anyone figures out my hidden system, they can access the contents at any time. Not good. So, who has had this problem and actually fixed it long term? I see many, many posts about the problem but never a resolution that I can replicate. Other than throwing more money at by replacing all the locks, switch’s, sensors and computers and hoping for the best, I am running out of ideas. It’s an alright vehicle, but if I can’t resolve this, it’s getting sold.

Last edited by captainkf; 01-14-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Durango lift gate lock malfunction