2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

engine stalled - codes PO581 & PO884

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 01:03 PM
treii28
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine stalled - codes PO581 & PO884

This morning on the way to work (it was damp and misty outside) I seemed to get two semi-electrically related codes shortly after the vehicle lurched a few times while accellerating and then stalled out throwing the codes.

P0581 Cruise Control Multi-Function Input A Circuit High ( https://www.obd-codes.com/p0581 )
P0884 – Transmission control module (TCM) -power input signal intermittent malfunction ( https://www.troublecodes.net/pcodes/p0884/ )

One appears to be related to the cruise control showing a high voltage, the other to Transmission control module power input signal intermittent malfunction. For the record, the cruise control appeared to stop 'turning on' a few weeks ago (but there were no codes at that time and that is merely when I first noticed it).

After waiting about 5 minutes to retrieve the code, I was able to restart the vehicle and carefully proceeded the last mile to work. (I hadn't tried anything else prior to that)

This vehicle was purchased used and has also been plagued with a number of small electrical problems including but not limited to accessory plug fuses occasionally blowing even when nothing appears to be plugged in, a problem with the door-open sensor in the driver's side door latch (it never has worked), a problem in the passenger seat weight sensor for the airbag system and most recently the cruise not turning on. These may or may not be related.
It also had to have the transmission replaced last fall after it ceased to engage in drive after backing out of my driveway one morning.

Also, may or may not be related, I started hearing a sound that appears to be little more than break wear and was already planning on taking it in to get the breaks replaced. It only makes the sound at low speed when the breaks are depressed and/or immediately after and sounds typical of a worn pad.

I'm just looking for any information prior to trying to see if I can (or should even try to) drive it home and get it in for service in the morning. Any tips, advice, insight, etc appreciated.

Last edited by treii28; 08-16-2018 at 01:09 PM. Reason: further clarification on codes

Quick Reply: engine stalled - codes PO581 & PO884