2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

No bus in odometer

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:38 PM
mvandy91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No bus in odometer

I Have a 2008 5.7 Hemi has right around 150k on it I purchased it used about two months ago everything worked fine for about a month then every once in a while the cluster would go crazy all the warning lights would come on and the gauges would go too zero. Also it reads NO BUS in the odometer But the vehicle ran fine . as time went on it became more frequent and then this past weekend when it started having its fit the car stalled and wouldn't start. had a friend tell me to unhook battery to reset computers after doing so it started so we drove it to the dealer now they are wanting to replace the PCM because they cant get the scan tool to communicate with the vehicle computers Please any assistance would be Great THANKYOU IN ADVANCED

Old 12-14-2018, 12:11 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

impossible to say without know what bus codes have set.
the vehicle uses a computer network that communicate on a bus. a bus network consists of all the modules connected via 2 wires. modules send electrical signals on the 2 wires. When the NO bus light is on there is a loss of communication on the bus. so a module may be bad, a wire may be shorted to voltage, ground or open.
if they can't commicate with the pcm….but all the other modules communicate...they will verify pcm power and grd...continuity of the pcm wires...if that is all good...replacing the pcm is recommended.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:08 AM
mvandy91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok but what would make the pcm go bad ? A lot of what I have found people are saying the tipm or cluster I mean I’ve seen some say the pcm but for what I’ve been quoted from the dealer and they’ve said they can’t gurentee me that’s the issue so I’m on the fence about saying ya go ahead and do it now I will say this we have had issues with the windows as well sometimes they work sometimes they don’t could that have anything to do with it and one last thing out of the pcm cluster and the tipm what ones need to be programmed from the dealer ?

Old 12-15-2018, 07:50 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoever sold this truck most likely knew of this issue and it has likely had issues for some time. Has there been a big temperature change where you are? That tends to upset electronics as boards shrink and expand and this can cause issues.

As for the PCM, if they cannot communicate with it and they have verified proper power then it does indeed seem like the first thing to replace. It sucks when electronics don't work right, very very few people can figure this stuff out first shot.

As for the windows, they go through the BCM. I am pretty sure that any module that gets changed needs to be VIN programmed as well. Someone with dealer level tools or a dealer can do it.

If I were you, I'd take a long hard look at this truck and make sure you want to spend the money to repair it as there could very likely be more electronic issues.

Quick Reply: No bus in odometer