2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Limp Mode and P0770 Solenoid help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 04:55 PM
Bob Fair
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp Mode and P0770 Solenoid help

New here... It seems this may be an active vehicle board (I hope)

2006 Dodge Durango 5.7 4wd (545rfe transmission)

A. My SUV keeps going into what I assume is Limp Mode, 2nd and 3rd gear only (3rd=D).... No OD and no 1st.
B. I get codes P0700 (generic) and P0770 Shift Solenoid E code.
C. When I unplug battery to reset DTC's I have ALL gears 1, 2, D, OD, & tow/haul

Anyone with experiences with this, and verdict ??? I have the Dodge manual....
I read where this code is an electrical fault ONLY. SO mechanical failure is least likely. AS I understand it: It is either the solenoid itself or short/open in wiring circuit. ANYONE?

My difficulty is the wiring troubleshooting per manual states use of Miller tool 8333 to actuiate solenoid(s) and 8813 for testing wiring.... It would be awesome if someone can assist me with testing the wiring circuit... the Manual only shows 4.7L connector,
IS THIS CONNECTOR the same as 5.7L (assuming same (5)45RFE transmissions for either right ???

The manual shows the pin 19 I assume is the T259 4c circuit asked to check for open & short. But it says to test against pin on miller tool 8813 which I don't have... what can I test this against without the toll?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Bob Fair; 04-06-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:57 PM
Bob Fair

OK no help??

I pulled a 2005 545rfe shift solenoid pack from salvage yard. trans and fluid looked good.. matching part numbers 52119435AF.

no dice.. still have truck in limp mode. goes into limp within 1/10 mile after clearing codes.

now to figure out how to test mine that i have on bench now and how to test which connector to the PCM is for transmission (TCM inside PCM) ... ANY HELP???

Old 07-05-2020, 02:16 PM
Bob Fair

I put this on hold for a long time. Been driving in limp mode just fine for a year total now. I have 2nd and 3rd gear. GOing on highway is like the tow/haul gear and I just stay weary not to overheat transmission but it has been fine all this time.

A. Truck symptoms: when truck sits overnight in driveway, upon startup always fine all gears and drives fine.
B. Truck has always had a slight stumble between or hard shift at 40-50mph when going to OD and the MSD is kicking in to 4 cyl.
C. I have had several years now a Diablo tuner, and I turn off the MSD with 80% good results eliminating B, above
D. upon driving 1-3 miles it will always dump to limp mode. Limp mode appears most often when downshifting out of OD. But on occasion it is in the lower gear rane like 2 to 1.
E. I have wonder if it is a heat up of the tranny situations.
F. I have also wondered if it is the TCC as sometimes from a dead stop / parked situation after it went into limp mode, upon starting vehicle and attempting to leave parking space.... the tranny is hard to engage, especially if wheel is turned (noting is is starting in 2nd gear) - It will shut down the truck quickly with a jerk. It takes a couple attempts sometimes to get engaged and drive.

I know the service procedure says this code is most likely an electrical issue & not mechanical !!! This is proving to be true.
But I was able to do the mechanical with little cost, to do process of elimination. I got stuck on the wiring issue.

What I have done last year... exhausted most options:

A. I opened the solenoid pack and checked resistance across all solenoids. Some are open and some are closed solenoids, respectively all were within same range.
B. I swapped the 4C Solenoid with another one in the case that was same part a year ago... same symptom and code so it wasn't a solenoid. (solenoid fine)
C. I then tried a NEW solenoid pack, still same issue. ( i was able to take it back).
D. I checked resistance across the connector pins(Very carefully to not disturb pins as per warning in service procedure) on the TCS PCM connector to the transmission connecter (had correct resistance)
E. I checked for short to ground. (no shorts)
F. OH towards top of this I checked all fuses and relays..(all were good) .. I also swapped relays that were the same. (all were good)
G. Diablo tuner tech support, was GREAT helping me. I cross referenced all the serial codes AND revision of the the PCM brain pack and located an exact match in a salvage.... I shipped to Diablo and the put the latest revision software on it for me. This saved me a ton of money!
This also insured my ignition security and the PCM were matched and my specific VIN was in PCM. (this did not resolve the issue)
H. now I know there is a chance the salvage unit is defected, but the chances of the EXACT same defection is pretty low.
I have seated and unseated connectors several times, and applied di-electric grease, no visible signs of corrosion and seating seems to be o.k.
I. I also tried the pressure transducer on tranny housing as it was suggested by a transmission shop;
J. Basically the majority of possibilities have been eliminated. I am left to think it is a bad wire somewhere and possibly intermittent.
K. the wiring harnesses or not sold anymore for this year !
L. So now i have procrastinated but will strip a wiring harness from salvage yard was my last resort i figured.
M. I could not find connector tools to swap wire.
N. I was too hesitant to splice the 4C T259 wire. (knowing it should likely match the same 18 gauge)
O. i took to a smart trnny guy in tranny shop... ( i called half dozen) he understood and offered best tech conversation with me. with the free diagnostic he concluded the same thing !!!! he would fix wiring issue for $600. I did not have that to spend last year... still don't now that we are in covd pandemic.
P. Well i found "transengineer" who is knowledgeable on this issue in other posts that i never read before... suggesting a wire swap... so I have looked hard for the tools now. As this is a great method of troubleshooting that should have been done in beginning.
Q. I have found on his posted link yesterday ed sight also the wiring diagrams. I am back in business to resolve this.
Also on his link I found the connector/wiring tools !!!!!!!

NOTE: TO ACCESS ALL the wealth of information YOU MUST USE INTERNET EXPLORER 11 and have ADOBE READER installed for you to use his link to rambuilderbody.com !!!!!!!!!!!
for the tools: try this link and you can at least get this section for the tools: http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2006/d...nformation.pdf -- 2006 Dodge Durango 5.7l 4WD

I will search for price of tools and decide if I will do the wire swap and post an update here.

Old 09-12-2022, 10:28 AM
smoke stax
Default P0770 code 5-45rfe

Did you ever get the trans running right? Mine is in limp mode and won't come out of 2nd. Trying to get some resolution. Thanks for any help.

Old 09-21-2022, 08:59 AM
Huskies
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in a similar boat with P0750. No competent mechanics around here and I can't do it.

Quick Reply: Limp Mode and P0770 Solenoid help