DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Durango (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-durango-70/)
-   -   Wind Noise with an '05 anyone? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-durango/52964-wind-noise-with-an-05-anyone.html)

jnjshep 03-22-2006 09:26 PM

Wind Noise with an '05 anyone?

I bought an '05 SLT Hemi in November. It was a dealer demo with 6,000 miles on it. I LOVE this SUV. We drive it all the time. The DVD is awsome for my son. The Infinity speakers are great. Everything is great EXCEPT... I have noticed in the last couple of months when I drive on the open highway at speeds in excess of 60/mph (which who doesn't drive fast in this truck it is soooo smooth) the wind noise is BAD. At some points it almost sounds like I have the window down a bit. I have checked with my hand to see if any air is coming thru and I can't feel anything. I was just wondering if this is my truck or if anyone else can tell me if this is normal. I called my Dodge dealer and they said that they would check and that sometimes the doors are out of alignment, but I have researched reviews online and no one has complained about this problem so either my durango has a problem or the rest of the durango owners are deaf (haa haa) Seriously, let me know what you all think of this....it would be a great big help.

mrraguilera 03-22-2006 11:45 PM

RE: Wind Noise with an '05 anyone?

I have the same problem. But, when I turn on the A/C or Heater the noise goes away. I usually just leave the auto air on. I am planning to take into service for correct.

jnjshep 03-23-2006 12:26 AM

Thanks for the info. I haven't noticed a difference when the air is on...i will check that out. Please let me know what you find out from your dealer on yours and we can compare notes. Thanks again!

Sprint 03-23-2006 09:15 PM

I have the same model bought in Aug. The wind noise started about 2 months later. Its getting louder now so I checked it out after seeing your post. I noticed the weather strips along the outside of the driver & passenger windows coming loose. So....to make a long story short, I rolled down both front windows and was abe to shake the weather strip loose. The corners were the worst part. Calling the dealer to take her in. Hope this helps......

jnjshep 03-28-2006 05:43 PM

FYI: Had my doors adjusted at Dodge on Friday. It made an improvement in the wind noise. It was really windy on Sunday and the noise was still there but it wasn't as bad.

beamer 04-05-2006 02:55 AM

I have a 05 also. I have the same wind noise at highway speeds.. The first visit to the dealer the mechanic said I needed new door stripping which they ordered and installed... The noise was still there. Took it back a second time and left for two days while I was out of town.. When I returned I was told by the dealer that the noise was normal due to the wind turbalence from the mirrors. I have not had a chance to call Dodge corp to find out what the cure is. If it is the mirros do I remove them? haha I can't believe that Dodge would build a product with a built in defect... I will post when I get more info... Interested if anyone gets theirs repaired.. Other then that the Durango is awesome to drive

kristinn 04-10-2006 08:33 PM

Hi, did anyone get this wind noise fixed? i'm have the same problem.

Sprint 04-11-2006 09:16 PM

Update:

Took her to the dealer to deal with weather strips coming loose.
Here's their story:
The weather strips are "fitted on" and no adhesive is used - so they told me. Can someone confirm this? Basically all they did was re-fit the strips. I still have the wind noise but not as bad.

jnjshep 04-17-2006 02:27 PM

I was told when I took mine to the dealer that the reason the wind noise is there (they said they get complaints about thier full size trucks too) is because the doors are raised slightly higher than the roof of the truck. They told me the doors can sometimes be readjusted, which they did with mine and as I said....it did improve the noise. It isn't gone but it is much improved. Now, I don't know about the whole doors being higher than the roof because seems like every dealer has a different story....someone on this site said their dealer told them it was the mirrors others say weather strips....who knows...all I know is that when you pay 25,000 for a vehicle it should work properly...can I get an AMEN????

I don't know....maybe if enough people contact dodge with the problem they will find a solution and issue a recall. In the mean time....good luck and crank the stereo up on the windy days ya'll. Haa haa. :D

beamer 04-21-2006 09:07 PM

Well I went back to the dealer and waited for the expert wind noise tech to make the repair. He drove the Durango and said the wind noise was there. He added weather stripping that you buy at Home Depot to the inside of the factory window weather stripping and said this should take care of it. Well you quessed it. The wind noise is still there...I complained to the dealer and was told to bring it back. Before I go back I am going to try taping the door gaps with tape. Climb in from the other side and see if this stops the noise. If it does I can tell the dealer where they need to look. As always if you want something done you have to do it your self.