2nd Gen Durango 2004 - 2009

Mopar/Borla exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:42 AM
65shelbycobra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mopar/Borla exhaust

I would be curious to hear about how that exhaust works out.. I stopped by the dodge dealer tonight and he told me that the borla exhaust doesn't work well with the 06 durango and the MDS. He said they did one for a customer and had problems with it.. But he didn't want to elaborate.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:40 AM
FastM

Well, we'll find out on Monday; that's when UPS says I'm getting the exhaust. Can't imagine what problem the MDS would cause the exhaust unless it's a weird "putt-putt" sound when the hemi slides into 4 cylinder mode. Don't worry, if there's any problems I'll definately elaborate.

Somebody buy my M roadster, please. (15,300 mi, garage kept, ROCKET fast, $29,900)

Old 09-19-2006, 01:25 AM
FastM

I got the exhaust today and installed it this afternoon. It's beautifully made and fits fine, the tips look great with their high polish, and they sit perfectly, maybe a little close to the rear fascade; I hope they don't discolor it. The sound? At first I thought it was a little quiet, but on the drive home I thought the sound was perfect. You can hear the exhaust, but it's never overpowering and there's no resonating at any RPM. You can hear the tranny shift now, which is a good thing, it was so quiet before and the transmission so smooth, you could barely discern the shifts. I thought I could hear a slight change in the exhaust tone when the engine went into MDS mode, but maybe not. When I jumped on the throttle, it made a very sweet, throaty growl up thru the RPM range, very pleasing.

I'm going to Miami tomorrow morning, 50 mile round trip, which should tell me more about the exhaust. So far so good though, no check-engine light or other problems, except for a slight smell, which should be burned off tomorrow. I'll take some pix tomorrow too.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:34 AM
65shelbycobra

Excellent to hear.. I may have to order myself one.. ;&gt

Old 09-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional

very nice way to explane that .. my best budy put that borla exhuast on his 2001 supercharged 4runner and it sounds good.. I have the flowmaster because I am young and still like the roar of the truck.. but when I get some little ones thats what I am going to invest in,... what do you get high way milage..?.. I know with just few things I took a trip the other weekend and I was getting 19mph out of my 5.9 D.. any ways... SWeet set up.. looks lik eyou like your cars.. how is the infity I lOVE them stylish and sweet with a lower price tag (but still high. hehehe) any ways nice exhaust.. how much did they charge you instal and exhaust?? just wondering.. thanks JP

Old 09-20-2006, 10:37 PM
FastM

That Infiniti is a POS, I hate that thing. The seat's uncomfortable, the brake's suck, and 280hp? Where? Feels like 180hp. My M roadster laughs at that thing. The radio's a Piece-Of-Shyt too. Handles decent though. My wife drives it, she loves it.

The exhaust was $550 I think. I installed it myself, pretty easy, but watch out for the stock muffler; it weighs a ton and is the size of a 55 gal drum. Probably lost 40 lb with that Mopar/Borla exhaust.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:28 AM
FastM

Here's a photo of the exhaust. (I hope) It's sounding a little bit louder after a week, but still very tolerable, very pleasant. Both the muffler and small resonator are straight thru.

[IMG]local://upfiles/44044/A4E5FADC25E84D4BAC65423DE0F82B6A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Hemi4thewife

Preformance gain?-better fuel mileage? getting a better sound?>I work at a Dodge dealership I might check into that.Any info would be nice.I was leaning toward Magnaflow exhaust system.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:07 PM
FastM

I got the K&N intake on now, it's the one with the black plastic tube, not the chrome one. The combination of the exhaust and the intake really make it sound fantastic. It sounds like a hemi now. Accelerating with lite throttle sounds just right, about an even amount of decibels coming from the exhaust and intake, not loud but very "performance V8" sounding. When you jump on it it's substancially louder, but still far from being too loud; and there's never any resonating. I'm pretty sure I can tell when it goes to MDS, you can hear a slight change in the exhaust tone if it's very quiet, like no radio and very little wind noise.

I like both mods a lot, they look and sound great. Performance increase? hard to tell; supposedly I picked up 35 hp, but I'd bet it's more like 10 maybe 15. Gas mileage? It's worse; I'm having too much fun pressing the loud pedal!

Old 09-30-2006, 06:11 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah that tends to happen when you do performance/gas saving mods it never really saves you much gas if any.

Quick Reply: Mopar/Borla exhaust