2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Harmonic balancer removing

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:04 PM
deezozdodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Harmonic balancer removing

This is a basic question, how do I remove the bolt to the harmonic balancer without rotating the crank? I do not have a battery in the vehicle and the starter has been removed. I do have an Intrepid; on the other hand, I am working on a Ford Taurus relelant to the question. Please advise, thanx

Old 08-06-2008, 09:28 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

general answer.
the easiest way is to use an air gun. the impacts will crack it loose.

if you can't get ahold of an air gun, then you have to clamp the engine from turning, using either a screwdriver in the starter ring, or a screwdriver though one of the holes in the balancer. if you do this, be careful what you are pressing against, and make sure its thick enough to withstand the pressure. also leave the plugs in and belts on as they increase resistance.

DO NOT wedge a wrench or socket on the bolt and bump the starter as a sort of reverse impact wrench. you can get hurt quick doing that.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:52 PM
deezozdodge
Professional

The screwdriver through one of the holes in the balancer is probably the best way, because I don't have an impact gun. I was thinking putting a few bolts back on the balancer and then placing either the prybar or screwdriver between them and then wedge the bar against the ground or frame. This will perhaps prevent the crank from turning. I was hesitant in doing the above because I don't want to damage the balancer. Would some WD40 help around the crank bolt?

Old 08-08-2008, 08:32 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it won't hurt to try wd40, but its unlikely to help. it just takes force to break it loose. as long as your bolts are full engaged in the threads on the INNER part of the balancer it will not hurt it. your biggest worry is what you pry against, weak aluminum - like timing cover, water pump, engine block corner - can break.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:07 PM
deezozdodge
Professional

Thank you for the reply. I am going to purchase an impact wrench to make the job easier.

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer removing