2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Low Oil Pressure

Old 05-22-2007, 02:40 PM
erikc67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Oil Pressure

Quick question from a newbie...at work, so can't research similar topics on forum. Low oil pressure light on, kind of ... flickered while at a traffic light (I was 30 minutes into 45 min. commute). Went away when accelerated. Checked the dipstick when I arrived at work, looked about 1/16 of an inch below the optimal zone. Just had oil changed about 2,000 miles ago. Oil sender unit, perhaps? Appreciate your patience with what is likely a routine question.
Thanks,
Erik

Old 05-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: Low Oil Pressure

U have a 2.7 engine correct? if so let me know there is a little trick I will show u.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:34 AM
jamalb14

The trick is getting rid or the car when that happens because mine did the same thing burning oil like it was gas so i tried some additive that stopped the burning but the oil pressure light came on even after i had the oil sending unit replaced... needless to say the car sits in the driveway now because the engine was slowly but surely frying itself if you dont believe me read compliants for the intrepid on the internet it happens all the time.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:01 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

I have a 2.7 with 156k miles on it runs just fine for me orginal owner. Like i said i have a small trick that will stio the oil light flicker if u have a 2.7.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:30 PM
hexbolt

I had the same problem on my 2002 intrep and I just started using Mobile Clean 5000 on a regular basis and the oil light does not flicker anymore. I was using Penzoil. This suggestions was in the forum and it sounded like the least expensive fix. I tried it and so far it works. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:01 PM
justin45nwcc

Just curious about that lil trick becasue my '98 with the wonderful 2.7 does the same thing once in awhile. I have started adding Lucas during oil changes. Didn't figure that would hurt.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:44 AM
Dodge Tech
Captain

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 2.7L ENGINE. SYMPTOM/CONDITION: With a hot engine the oil pressure light may be on or flicker on at idle. DIAGNOSIS: Verify engine oil pressure as described on page 9-21 of the 1999 Concorde/Intrepid/LHS/300M service manual (Publication No. 81-270-9140). If engine oil pressure is within specification perform the Repair Procedure. PARTS REQUIRED: Qty Part No. Description 1 05017800AA Wire Terminal/Vent REPAIR PROCEDURE: [ol][*]Raise vehicle on a suitable hoist.[*]Remove engine oil pressure switch connector from switch.[*]Remove sealing dart from the empty cavity at the rear of the connector.[*]Pull terminal locking ring outward from front (switch) side of connector to gain access to terminal locking tabs.[*]Install wire terminal/vent, p/n 05017800AA, in place of the removed sealing dart. Slide locking ring back into place.[*]Attach the connector back on the oil pressure switch.[*]Spot tape the wire/vent to follow the harness towards the top of the engine compartment[/ol]

Old 12-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Z1million
Default Low Oil pressure light - FIX

Here is how I fixed the low oil pressure light problem without using any parts, only the labor to remove the oil pressure sensor is needed. I have an 02 seabring convertible 2.7L engine and I was having the same problem with my oil light coming on at an idle. I bought a new sensor replaced the old one and had the same problem. I than got a test kit and tested my oil pressure. It was very good, never lower than 11 PSI hot at an idle.

I was reading about the wire connector modification, but I had an 02 and this mod came out in 99, surely Chrysler incorporated this mod on its newer vehicles. Well after checking more they did not and this is what turned me off on Chrysler products forever. For a manufacturer to produce a vehicle with a known defect and a modification fix and not incorporated this modification on its newer vehicles is inexcusable.

After reading that the modification was to stop pressure build up in the sensor housing I decided to make a pressure release hole in the sensor housing. I took my old oil pressure sensor and using a 1/8 inch bit I drilled a small hole at the base of the plastic sensor tower. I put the old sensor in and drove for a week, no problem with my light coming on. To test further I took the new oil pressure sensor I bought and drilled a hole in it. Put it in and I've been driving for months and no problem with my oil pressure light coming on at all now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure