2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

Engine will not beyond 3000 RPM sometimes!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 01:39 AM
Mightygeorge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem recently and for me it was a Bad Catalytic converter. It would sound like it was high revving at 2700~ and I would lose power and momentum, couldn't get it to get past 65mph... Cut out the catalytic and put it on a straight pipe to be sure and of course it runs like new... This happened with my previous dodge Dakota, which I miss and it was the same thing, bad catalytic. Hope this helps.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:51 PM
cdronn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fduraibi
My engine started acting weird sometimes. So the "Check Engine" light comes on and the engine will not go beyond 3000 RPM even when I am driving. Sometimes it will even stop while driving (but it will start again by itself since the car is still moving) or when I stop at traffic lights. And this keeps on happening like once or twice a day, and most of the time it is working fine and no "check engine". Not sure what is wrong with it.

Here i posted a video of the gauges when it happened and as you can see that it will not go beyond 3000 RPM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIkTMTP8-C8

Is it an easy to fix thing? or should I start looking for another car?

My Car: Intrepid 2001 SE 2.7L
Milage: ~129000
I experience the same problems I noticed turning the car off and restarting it it will then revs to 4,000 RPMs. I've replaced both camshaft positioning sensors. and I am showing no codes. I did get a check engine light when the positioning sensors went bad. I cleared the codes they never came back.

Last edited by cdronn; 10-03-2022 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine will not beyond 3000 RPM sometimes!