DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Neon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon-78/)
-   -   governor (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon/106124-governor.html)

Kalevra 05-13-2007 08:54 PM

governor

How do I remove the governor (i hear that it shuts the car off at 112 mph. I havent reached it yet because i back off at 110 but I want it off my car)

LowSlowNeon 05-13-2007 09:10 PM

RE: governor

It shuts off at 118. As for disabling it or removing it, standalone engine mgt or I believe I saw someone on one of the other boards basically doubled the limit with some kind of resistor I think. From what I know about the second idea I guess it basically divides the signal in half the pcm sees so that is how it gets around the limiter.

Kalevra 05-13-2007 09:15 PM

I see. as for doing that and all, point me in the direction on how to do it

Izero 05-13-2007 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: LowSlowNeon

It shuts off at 118. As for disabling it or removing it, standalone engine mgt or I believe I saw someone on one of the other boards basically doubled the limit with some kind of resistor I think. From what I know about the second idea I guess it basically divides the signal in half the pcm sees so that is how it gets around the limiter.
yea but i think it also messes up the speedo readout.... so heads up...

contagious19 05-14-2007 02:29 AM

I hit 120 on my neon

spikeymikey87 05-14-2007 02:50 AM

it stops at 119, but if you are driving that fast, you shouldnt be driving at all;););), but anyway megasquirt will fix all problems

LowSlowNeon 05-14-2007 02:52 AM

You'll never hit 120 in a neon that is auto. Not likely anyway, at least if its mostly stock. And yes, from what I understand it does mess up your speedometer reading. There isn't really any reason to need to go that fast anyway unless you either A.) have some serious power and trap that high at the track, B.) race on a course and can actually get going that fast or more likely C.) drive that fast on the street most likely trying to beat a honda. As for how to do it, I don't know, I just saw it on the other site. I don't feel like searching for it, but if you search over there you should be able to find it.

spikeymikey87 05-14-2007 02:55 AM

ORIGINAL: LowSlowNeon

You'll never hit 120 in a neon that is auto. Not likely anyway, at least if its mostly stock. And yes, from what I understand it does mess up your speedometer reading. There isn't really any reason to need to go that fast anyway unless you either A.) have some serious power and trap that high at the track, B.) race on a course and can actually get going that fast or more likely C.) drive that fast on the street most likely trying to beat a honda. As for how to do it, I don't know, I just saw it on the other site. I don't feel like searching for it, but if you search over there you should be able to find it.
haha, dont hate on autos, but seriously, you wont hit 120 in an auto

LowSlowNeon 05-14-2007 02:59 AM

Not going to lie. I don't like autos. Side note, I hit the limiter on my car with ease at a track of course. 4th gear FTW!

Kapitald 05-14-2007 03:23 AM

i hate autos as i now have my mtx 04 sxt.....but....i got my auto to 120...TOOK FOREVER...(think i mightve been going downhill lol)

anyway...you will have to go MS and theres a whole sticky on that for you to read up on...

xenoneon 05-14-2007 12:10 PM

yeah i hit 120+ in my auto...w/o cuttin out, and two friends in the car. but i did it the wrong way, I have the 1st gear 2ndgear then drive mode...on the auto thingy......i know doin that can **** up ur trans, engine and all but hey, I am gettin a new engine and trans soon so who cares.

nswap7 05-14-2007 01:33 PM

i got an auto too..itll get up there but i agree with the whole "why do you need to go that fast" question

Kalevra 05-14-2007 01:49 PM

Lol, single answer. I have the need for speed. I love it. I find somewhere where there is no pigs and run with it like a stole it.

Who doesn't want to go fast?

Needless to say I am NOT careless about it, I'm actually cautious and choosy about the roads and everything. I've been taught by my dad who used to race cars (legally as far as I know and he sometimes lines up on the street) so I know the ropes but I'm nowhere near his expertise and experience. so there's my answer on why. :)

lblackneon 05-14-2007 04:45 PM

If u get a reprogrammed computer it should eliminate the top speed limiter. With a reprogrammed computer, u just have to have the power to get past 120. I haven't tried to pass 120 mph with my AFX Race computer but I might try one day. It's not like i can get up there and down to a normal speed in a small stretch.

contagious19 05-14-2007 08:58 PM

my car isnt auto, [sm=noooo.gif], i dont like auto. after my dad taught me how 2 drive manual i never went back.

Kalevra 05-15-2007 02:23 AM

Mine is a ATX and i can tell you..... i hate it! I'm gonna go MTX as soon as I get the money

Fantasticle 05-15-2007 02:38 AM

mines manual and i can hit 120 in 4th, takes a while haha, (figured this out racing my buddies civic, with an intake, exaust, SI tranny, and new motor, but i won!!!) but yeah then the gov kicks in. Im not really interested in goin past it, id love to, but i wouldnt wanna pay that ticket or crash goin that fast.but yeah reprogram your computer or get a new one, thats the only way i know of.

Kalevra 05-15-2007 02:42 AM

I would like to know how I can reprogram or where and how much a new computer will be

lblackneon 05-15-2007 02:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Kalevra

I would like to know how I can reprogram or where and how much a new computer will be
It depends what year Neon u have. The AFX computers are out for the 2000-02 Neons as well as the older Neons. There is a Street version at $375 plus 150 dollar core charge and there is the AFX Race Computer which is $390 plus 150 core charge. It's very expensive. If I were a first Gen Neon, I'd just get the Mopar Pcm which is around 250 and I think that's without a core charge.
www.modernperformance.com has the Mopar pcms for the first Gen Neons.
www.howellautomotive.com has the AFX computers

Fantasticle 05-15-2007 02:56 AM

I did some digging and i cant find anything about reprograming em, sorry about that. All i can think of is to buy a racing ECM, pricy but its gonna work. Try askin a local shop and see if they know anything about it.

Kalevra 05-15-2007 12:20 PM

will do

Kalevra 05-15-2007 12:21 PM

and I will get back to you if i find out anything about it

Brandon Neu 06-27-2019 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by LowSlowNeon (Post 798619)

Lmao I have owned my 2000 since I was 17 I'm 38 now and I've hit 120 in my 3 speed auto 2.0 sohc n/a and had a the govenor tap me hard and this is from stock set up to a built motor sooooo dont hate what you dont understand