2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Underdrive Pulley worthy investment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:36 PM
lblackneon
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Underdrive Pulley worthy investment?

ORIGINAL: Izero

ORIGINAL: Sawhiskey

Can I take my stock UDP off an machine it lighter, would that help with performance?? Just a thought.... Since I work in a machine/welding shop, I can do anything I want, anyone got any project ideas for me.
yes but you will have to make sure its balanced PERFECTLY or you will end up with some major problems... like the belt comming off b/c the pulley will be wobbling or it could cause the belt to wear and then snap prematurely which would be bad.... so if you really want to make it lighter make sure the machine shop balances it to perfection......
I agree.

I'm just having Modern use their lighter materials. It'll look like the MPX. Like I said, by it being lighter it's going to make the car rev faster. When the udp is smaller in diameter, it sends less power to the accessories and that's where the freeing up hp comes from. The main reason I chose to have a udp customized is b/c I couldn't find my stock udp. That gave me an excuse to get a customized one from Modern. I would hate to go back to that heavy stock udp.

Sawhiskey: I see u don't have any performance mods on your car. If you're thinking about performance and u have a sound system, I would recommend u spend a bit more money and get a CAI. U will feel a larger increase in performance vs just a lighter udp.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:45 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok two things....
1) would buying a capacitor for my sub fix the problem that not enough power is getting to the amp to power the sub?
2) lblackneon does that APEXi S-AFC 2 NEO actually control your A/f ratios or does it just display your A/f ratio?

Old 06-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Sawhiskey
All Star

ORIGINAL: lblackneon

ORIGINAL: Izero

ORIGINAL: Sawhiskey

Can I take my stock UDP off an machine it lighter, would that help with performance?? Just a thought.... Since I work in a machine/welding shop, I can do anything I want, anyone got any project ideas for me.
yes but you will have to make sure its balanced PERFECTLY or you will end up with some major problems... like the belt comming off b/c the pulley will be wobbling or it could cause the belt to wear and then snap prematurely which would be bad.... so if you really want to make it lighter make sure the machine shop balances it to perfection......
I agree.

I'm just having Modern use their lighter materials. It'll look like the MPX. Like I said, by it being lighter it's going to make the car rev faster. When the udp is smaller in diameter, it sends less power to the accessories and that's where the freeing up hp comes from. The main reason I chose to have a udp customized is b/c I couldn't find my stock udp. That gave me an excuse to get a customized one from Modern. I would hate to go back to that heavy stock udp.

Sawhiskey: I see u don't have any performance mods on your car. If you're thinking about performance and u have a sound system, I would recommend u spend a bit more money and get a CAI. U will feel a larger increase in performance vs just a lighter udp.

I do have a CAI intake already. I dont want a smaller one cause of the power issues. But, Im just not moding my engine anymore, im working on the exertior and slowly saving for a swap. I hope. Forget that 2.0

Old 06-10-2007, 11:44 PM
AirWolf

ORIGINAL: lblackneon

ORIGINAL: AirWolf

I have a customized under drive pulley for my sxt that I got locally and a optima red top battery just incase for my upcoming new sound system . As long as you get a bigger battery your system will be alright.
That's not true. Your system will be fine but the battery wont. That's the whole issue we're discussing. If your alternator isn't charging your battery correctly, having a larger battery just means that it'll last longer than a cheaper battery.
With my AFX udp and sound system, I've had regular batteries and the Optima REd top. The regular batteries just got drained faster than my Optima REd top. I tried to purchase a Optima yellow top and I didn't get it b/c they wouldn't have given me warranty b/c my alternator wasn't sending enough charge to my battery.
Like I said, I just got a UDP customized to work with my sound system from Modern Performance. Anybody will tell you that people don't purchase the regular (lighter and smaller in diameter) udps if they have sound systems. They normally don't mess with udps at all. I'm just customizing that udp to be lighter and with the same diameter as stock. That just makes the car rev. faster.
Maybe in your case but I never had a problem with my red optima battery with my UDP and I have a nice alternator for both . My custom UDP is actually lighter than moderns . I wanted one from them but got mine custom at a shop locally .

Old 06-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Sawhiskey
All Star

So your having modern performance make a custom one for you. How much is that and would they do it again if I was to ask??

Old 06-10-2007, 11:52 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

i was curious about the capacitor because if that would solve the problem i would definetaly look into buying one, so that the UDP wouldn't mess anything else up

Old 06-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Kapitald
Captain

Izero....depending on your amp size and subs and size of your capacitor....capacitors discharge energy really fast and thus must be recharged fast from your alternator/battery....I have all the stuff listed in my signature.....PLUS i have a 1.5 Farad capacitor (which amounts to jack squat) but I have a Xstatic battcap in the trunk..the biggest one they make....to overcome the problems of the alternator sending less power and having a big audio system at the same time i would recomend:

a capacitor at least 3 farad (the higher the better)
try and find a way to lighten the pulley on the alternator (ODP)
use zero gauge wire like mine..
at least one extra battery in the trunk
replace your battery up front with a optima battery or better
the more power you can hang on to the better....they do make high performance alternators out there that send upto 6X the juice a OEM alternator does but I dont know how that would work with a UDP...probly only send about 1.5X as much then....

Old 06-11-2007, 12:50 AM
lblackneon
Champion

I recently bought a really good cap; check my pictures to see it if you want. It didn't solve my problem it just helped. The cap increased the amount of power my battery was receiving from my alt. but the car is still sending less power to the battery than required for the battery to last. The cap that I bought shows a digital reading of the power. My battery gets enough power when the car is rolling but once I sit the power starts to drop. I rarely blast my sound system but when the bass kicks in it will obviously take more power from the battery. The AC will also take more juice from the battery.

AirWolf: U don't have any experience with a powerful sound system in your car with an aftermarket udp. That's the issue we're discussing. If your alternator isn't sending enough power to the battery u can't just throw a big battery on your car and expect that to solve the problem. My battery was still being drained over a period of time. I didn't think it was getting drained but you have to test it to see. If u don't test it, u can have a digital cap on the car to see it. Your lights will eventually start to dim on whatever battery and you'll see that it's not cutting it. My batteries were getting drained with my older alternator and it's getting drained with my brand new alternator. When I recently went to buy the Optima Yellow top, I tested my alternator and saw that I couldn't buy the battery with that amount of power. I went to buy a cap to see if that would solve the problem and it didn't solve the problem. It helped but I was still under the requirement.

As far as the engnine, save up for that swap.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:09 AM
lblackneon
Champion

Oh Izero. The APEXI S-AFC controls the Air fuel ratio and the AEM wideband gauge just displays the ratio so u can tune it.

Sawhiskey: I think I paid $156 for the UDP with belts and shipping. Modern called the machine shop and described what I wanted. They said the machine shop had to set up the machine computers different or something b/c they don't normally make the udps like that. I'm sure Modern would do it again if you asked. They said it would take like 3 weeks until they shipped it.
Just keep in mind that people don't normally bother with changing their udps if they have sound systems. The gain in performance that i'll receive with my customized udp will be just a bit better than stock. Like I said earlier, the main increase in performance that the udps provide comes from it being smaller in diameter which frees up hp. By it being lighter mainly makes the car rev. a bit faster since it's not cast steel.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:22 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well unless physics taught me wrong..... if a disk is a smaller radius it will spin faster, the same goes for one with less mass(lighter) so if the UDP was both lighter and smaller wouldn't it spin faster? or am i mixed up?

Quick Reply: Underdrive Pulley worthy investment?