2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

CAI I DO NOT RECOMMEND

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:02 AM
schurick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CAI I DO NOT RECOMMEND

Don't know about seafoam, but what you can use is rubbing alcohol. Well, any kind of clear alcohol but rubbing alcohol is cheap. Get some 92%, not 73%, not 50%.. Has to be 92%. Ether is better but good luck getting that without raising a red flag. LOL

its an old carsalesman trick. Water and gas don't minx, but gas and alcohol mix and alcohol and water mix. Pour a little into your throttle body and a little more into your gas tank, just because. crank it and let it run. If you want top be really safe, put a drop in each cylinder from your spark plug opening... but the throttle body should do just fine...

Old 06-11-2007, 03:27 AM
schurick

Oh and as far as your rough idling and sluggish performace goes

water is the only liquid that will not compress. So, if you had some water in your cylinders when your car was running and sucking it up, you could have bent your valves for instance... You can have some water (read drops) in your cylinders, but not a lot (spoonfuls, ounces)...

Old 06-11-2007, 11:45 AM
flamingpinhead
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

i have short intake inthe winter but a cai in summer months. never really worry about it, hell the car is rarely driven in the rain.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:02 PM
dodgeneonz
Veteran

I had my cai from ebay... mine was a 2 piece where there's an extra tubing to extend down lower into the fenderwell but i just skip that tube and just use the one piece... so it's probably like 4 or 5 inches down from the hole in the hood where the cai goes down... so mine was pretty high up and safe... did yours come in a 2 piece and you connect them?

Old 06-11-2007, 06:04 PM
dodgeneonz
Veteran

this is the one that i got...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-04...25768712QQrdZ1
there's the extra pipe between the cai and the filter that i just didn't put it on... although it's a little harder to install (gotta move it around to make it fit that high up) but it's safer... so hope this helps and good to hear about your car running again, gotta love these little neons

Old 06-11-2007, 07:31 PM
nswap7
Captain

never thought of that..

Old 06-11-2007, 08:21 PM
masterofdisaster127

Now you all are kinda making me worried. I just ordered an AEM CAI from Modern Performance and it will be the first real upgrade to my car. I did order the bypass valve to be on the safe side but now I'm starting to worry. Maybe we should do a poll on who has had problems with sucking up water in the CAI.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:48 PM
neon03se
Record Breaker

i believe i am the only one with that problem it has happened twice. but like i said i guess i just have bad luck. my intake is different. don't worry about the CAI you should be alright, but having that bypass valve will only cancel out the gain you can expect from it,

Old 06-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Exubus
Champion

First, don't drive through "puddles" that are deep enough to choke a motor. If the puddle isn't that deep then don't drive around with a CAI dragging on the ground. My other tip would be that if you have used a good synthetic oil for most of the life of your car, DO NOT bother with the seafoam in the TB, oil, or vac lines. I just took the top half of my motor apart at 54,000 miles (all synthetic oil changes, Mobil1 and Pennzoil Plat) and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, never used a cleaner or additive and the motor looked brand new on the inside... just food for thought.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:59 AM
neon03se
Record Breaker

not sure if you read the earlier posts, but i do have the common sense not to drive through deep puddles, not sure what exactly happened and my CAI is not "dragging on the ground". like i said, its bad luck i guess, all my mods have been installed by a certified mechanic

Quick Reply: CAI I DO NOT RECOMMEND