2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Adding additonal power 12v power outlet

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Ritch M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding additonal power 12v power outlet

In my daily duties as a Home Inspector, I have to run a fair amount of equipment in my 02 Neon. Problem is I keep blowing fuses. The fuse under the hood is 20 amp. What is the best way to add another outlet that won't blow fuses all the time.

What I am running in the car:

IGO power adapter for my Laptop and PDA
a 350 watt power inverter for my Digital Camera
a standard radar detector

I've tried to use a dual-oulet splitter, but it keeps blowing its fuse.

Any tips/suggestions?

Old 07-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Adding additonal power 12v power outlet

well you could always goto home depot and see if you can get yourself one of those fuse plugs that will just plug right into an active but empty fuse spot, that has a part on the outside of it that you can connect a wire to, and wire that to the fuse panel on the side of your dash and then run a wire to your radar detector or w/e you want to directly power..... and i would say the reason you are blowing a fuse is b/c of that laptop/pda power adapter they draw an *** load of power.... you may want to consider running a wire from the battery through a power inverter to power the laptop and/or PDA...... just a thought though.... but you will only get 12-14V max out of the battery so you may need to have the car running so you dont drain the car's battery in a heartbeat.... but i wouldn't suggest putting a high amp fuse in b/c it might not work out too well for ya.....

Old 07-03-2007, 02:43 PM
Ritch M

yea, kinda figured that I am drawing too much power, I will try another method later. thanks!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Exubus
Champion

ORIGINAL: Ritch M

In my daily duties as a Home Inspector, I have to run a fair amount of equipment in my 02 Neon. Problem is I keep blowing fuses. The fuse under the hood is 20 amp. What is the best way to add another outlet that won't blow fuses all the time.

What I am running in the car:

IGO power adapter for my Laptop and PDA
a 350 watt power inverter for my Digital Camera
a standard radar detector

I've tried to use a dual-oulet splitter, but it keeps blowing its fuse.

Any tips/suggestions?
Run seperate wiring from the battery back into the car (10 AWG should do), to a seperate outlet, and use a 30A fuse... with the equipment you are running through the stock port, you are overloading the stock wiring with too much current (at least 20A inrush obviously). Oh and if you stick with the stock wiring, don't try any larger than a 20Aor 25A unless you like fire and have good insurance.

Quick Reply: Adding additonal power 12v power outlet