computer and cams. yep guessed it got questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:15 PM
noen_newbe
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computer and cams. yep guessed it got questions

a well built car needs to be a balanced machine
so once i get it running i wanna get a computer i was thinking about the howell race computer
AFXNC01RSM 2001 SOHC, max. perf, cal. for headers, no downstream O2 sensor* $390.00 + $150.00 Fits 2001 only

"Race computer specifications:- 7800 rpm redline (maximum possible!)- Totally new spark and fuel maps- Automatic speed control may be set up to 120 mph (if so equipped)- No mph cutout whatsoever- Able to use aftermarket coil and/or ignition system and not turn checkengine light on. Great for drag-race type "staging" systems.- Does not go excessively rich at top-end to "save" the catalytic converter,resulting in vastly improved maximum vehicle speed.- Significantly de-sensitized detonation sensor for use with noisy valvegear, header, etc.- calibrated for use with header and no catalytic converter. Does not readthe downstream O2 sensor, which may be disconnected w/o turning on checkengine light. May melt down a catalytic converter if used!- Best results obtained with uprated cam (Crane #16 or more), head work,larger throttle body, ported intake, etc.- Ability to use aftermarket coil and/or ignition system and not turn checkengine light on. (Year 2000 computers only).- Typical wheel HP increase 12 - 14 HP (depending on other mods)- Warning: at the RPM this unit is capable of, you should have 2001-uprocker arms / lash adjusters (DOHC), and stiffer-than-stock valve springs toprevent valve float and resultant damage"

WITH.........

a crane cam 14 or a 12 but the thing is that i dont have turbo not ganna happend for a while so for a street car and occasional drag raceing and autocross or what ever car is this tooo much ? over the top?

Old 12-10-2007, 02:49 PM
noen_newbe
Veteran
Default RE: computer and cams. yep guessed it got questions

bump

Old 12-10-2007, 04:11 PM
GrApHite03

i see one question and my answer to it would be no...

Old 12-10-2007, 04:16 PM
noen_newbe
Veteran

ok no on both the comp and the cran or can i get the crane 12 or 10 and get the race computer i just dont wanna have to use the downstream sensor

Old 12-10-2007, 04:21 PM
GrApHite03

ORIGINAL: noen_newbe

ok no on both the comp and the cran or can i get the crane 12 or 10 and get the race computer i just dont wanna have to use the downstream sensor
I meant no, its not over the top. With the AFX computers you will not need the downstream o2. you will also have to run high octane, no more regular at the pump. The computer is not good for turbo. Comp and Crane's grinds are very similar and are not much different when comparing stats.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:36 PM
noen_newbe
Veteran

ok
great because i put high octane anyway there really is a difference atleast at my gas station i spoke to the driver and **** anyway
so i am going to get the race computer and the crane 12 or 14 ? i cant decide since the computer lets me shift at 7,8k but i dont know if thats good for the motor (i dont wanna blow nothing up) the crane 14 says rpm 2,500 - 7.500 i htink does that mean im going to be idleing at 2.500? cuz that will suck *****.
and when i finally decide to turbo if i do ill get megasquirt.
t

Old 12-10-2007, 05:39 PM
GrApHite03

with the 12 or the 14 and reving that high i would suggest this also: http://www.howellautomotive.com/inde...amp;ProdID=487

Old 12-10-2007, 06:40 PM
noen_newbe
Veteran

ok so with this combo will i still have streetability
and is this all?
also do you know where i can get a megnum intake manny? and is it worth it ?

Old 12-10-2007, 07:36 PM
lblackneon
Champion

I have the AFX race computer with the Crane cam 12 and it's very streetable. I never go that high in rpm either. The highest I've been in rpm was around 7400 and that was like once or twice. It seems pointless for my powerband. IF you use a turbo with the AFX computer, you'll have to retard the timing. My check engine light has always stayed on with my AFX race pcm. It hasn't bothered me though.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:53 PM
tooslow
Veteran

go with the 14 it is perfectly fine for a dd

Quick Reply: computer and cams. yep guessed it got questions