2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Camshaft position sensor malfunction / oil light / 2004 Neon

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 05:07 PM
hazedstars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft position sensor malfunction / oil light / 2004 Neon

I have a 2004 Dodge Neon that I got used in Texas this past June and it had about 75,000 miles on it.The car hasn't had any problems under my ownership until now. It has about 80,000 miles on it now. The only thing I have done to it has been oil changes twice.

About a week ago the check oil light started coming on. It would come on for a while, then go off, come on again, go away, etc. The car wasn't due for an oil change yet, and I chekced the oil levels and they were fine.

About three days ago the check engine light started to come and go. Occasionally while driving the car would start to sputter. Sometimes while at a stoplight, other times while driving. Last night I was in the parking lot at Kroger and the car wouldn't start. It took three tries and it finally worked, then as I drove it started sputtering.

THis morning I went and had the oil changed and had the check engine light code read. The code came up as "Camshaft position sensor malfunction".

I looked up that problem and found threads on changing the sensor. I also googled "camshaft oil Neon" and found something about "Oil Seepage At Camshaft Position Sensor/Misinterpreted Head Gasket Leak" in 1995 - 1999 Neons. Could something like that be happening to my 04' Neon?

Any advice/suggestions would be very helpful. I am a student, on a limited budget and I do not have the money to go to a dealership and say, "Here's my car, do whatever it takes and fix it".

Old 12-15-2007, 09:12 PM
NHARINTON
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Camshaft position sensor malfunction / oil light / 2004 Neon

you got me.....

Quick Reply: Camshaft position sensor malfunction / oil light / 2004 Neon