DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Neon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon-78/)
-   -   2000 falling on it's self (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon/15731-2000-falling-on-its-self.html)

tditood 01-05-2005 11:36 PM

2000 falling on it's self

New to the neon world. Have a 2000 and when I start it up and put into gear it wants to cut off put it back in park and it rev.s up and runs good put it back in gear may or may not do it again . Need help. seem to do it when damp outside.has new plugs and wires.:(

Cr@zy Squ33 01-06-2005 12:52 AM

RE: 2000 falling on it's self

Manual (MTx) or Automatic (ATx)?

Sounds to me like its a tranny issue.

lonasindi 01-06-2005 01:14 AM

he said 'park' so I assume it's an auto. Maybe check your tranny fluid first, maybe it's not shifting properly. after that you're probably gonna want a prof. service, automatic transmissions are pretty complex. or maybe squee can help.

Cr@zy Squ33 01-06-2005 02:25 AM

I know. But I've talked to some guys who say park so when I start helping them they then do the, "No, not an ATx..I have an MTx." So, I figured I'd ask.

I'll give you some advice if you want though.

tditood 01-06-2005 07:29 PM

Ok Guys I sorry it's a auto.;) After it's get's going .or after the first sets of stalling (not stalling out)but acting as it is.It will run fine up and down the hills and stop light to stop light .all fine.It's just when it has sat for a little bit. Is changing the filter a big deal? I have tools and a driveway,and someknow how.

Cr@zy Squ33 01-07-2005 12:17 AM

Ok, it does sound like you've got yourself a transmission problem.

You could do a service on it. Fluid, filter, band adjustmnet. Its pretty involved and requires you to drop the tranny pan to get at the filter but you could do it on your own if you aren't afraid of taking things apart.

lonasindi 01-07-2005 01:44 AM

could it also be something with the torque converter, you think? would that be easier to check first, anyway?

Cr@zy Squ33 01-07-2005 02:05 AM

The torque converter could be bad, yes. But in order to check the converter you'd have to take the transmission our of the car.

ewetho 01-07-2005 03:42 AM

First do some basic checks like Trans fluid level and quality (Clean and not burnt smelling) then you'd probably be best to have it Professionally looked at and see if a sensor is cutting out or what exeactly is going on.

Also see if is still happens if you let it warm up for a coupla minutes first.

Cr@zy Squ33 01-07-2005 04:02 AM

Ok the only real sensors the transmission has is the speedo sensor, and the torque converter clutch solenoid. Which if the clutch solenoid was bad he'd have a check engine light and since he doesn't that isn't going to be his problem. There is also a nuetral safety switch but again, if that was the problem he'd have a CEL.

But yes, check the fluid level, make sure the fluid is still red. If it's brown or smells burned then you cooked the tranny. Pull it apart and service it.

It really does sound like its an internal problem. Like the transmission is on its way out and the only way to find out for sure is to pull it apart and look at the shavings in the pan.