2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

removing side moldings

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:35 AM
inthewerks
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing side moldings

hey all. was just in airwolfs post about "what stickers should i put on my car now" and someone suggested to remove the side moldings from the car. well, i am interested in doing this free mod and just need a quick run through. is there any possibility of paint damage from doing this mod?? any tips to avoid paint damage?? im sure that almost every neon owner has done this except me ( and airwolf) but i think it will look cool.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:46 PM
mat663
All Star
Default RE: removing side moldings

I am also interested in removing mines as well. But i have yet to attempt it because i am also in the same shoes you are...I wonder if they have holes in the doors under the side moldings.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:21 PM
KARR
Record Breaker

How do you remove the name plate "NEON" off the trunk and doors?

Old 04-30-2008, 01:38 PM
AirWolf

Im not cause I tend to be different than everyone else on the side moldings . But to remove them you can use a fishing line or heat gun or hairdryer. Same for the all your lettering karr.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:53 PM
prpaster
Professional

There are NO HOLES in the Doors so Use a hair Dryer and either fishing line or like a wood tounge depressor as they are just held on with 3M Tape. You can use a heat gun but be careful not to keep it in one spot as youwill mess up the paint if it is in one spot too long. Also once you have the molding off there probably will be some Tape/adhesive left of the paint. You can get that off with 3M adhesive remover that your local autoparts store should stock. I have also used goo gone and it worked well. Lastly get some wax on that section

Use the same process for the badges as they are just ureathane poured soft badges

Old 04-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Adionik
Champion

Depending on how old your car is there's like a 99% chance you're going to take some paint off. I took some off mine, it was an 02. The heat gun will probably do it a lot better but take your time.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:41 PM
contagious19
Champion

mines a 2000 and no paint came off at all. seriously take ur time and my paint doesnt look faded at all either

Old 04-30-2008, 05:17 PM
DouglasSXT
Veteran

Yup, heat gun and some goo gone when you have em all off! My paint was alittle rough and kinda bubbly in a few spots. And that area is a bit faded on mine, but I love the way it looks and once I get some weather to wash and wax it, it'll be alot better. I hope!!! lol

Old 04-30-2008, 06:36 PM
KARR
Record Breaker

Ok. Thanks guys. Im going to do that to the name badges on my doors. If I wante to put some stickers in place of the names like Mopar, etc dnt I need vinly?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:46 PM
fox02neon
Rookie

When I took my side moldings off my 02 I had no paint damage at all. I went to the local paint store and picked up what they called a earser to remove decals. I just pulled it off, I was afaird to use a heat gun. the earser thing worked great to remove my other decals as well as the left over the double sided stick tape. I did it to a friends 01 as well, but he did have some minnor fades in spots. On the neon and dodge signs I just used a small knife, but thats what I did.

Quick Reply: removing side moldings