I need a new muffler

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 10:17 AM
mattwv88
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I need a new muffler

ORIGINAL: ptschafer

My personal preferrence is a nice aftermarket performance muffler. I don't like the bulky, bland OEM muffler or the wimpy turn-down that hangs off of it. Just my preferrence then.
Sounds good. What is a good brand performance muffler that is not to high $dollar$? can they be bought at a muffler shop or would I need to order one? I`m really new to this so sorry for the dumb questions. Do you think a performance muffler is alot better deal than a glass pack? Thanks!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:52 PM
AirWolf

Magnaflow or flowmaster are really nice and both are decent priced . I would only put a glasspack on if you cant find a decent priced performance muffler . They will have a few to pick from at your local muffler place.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Exubus
Champion

ORIGINAL: mattwv88

My personal preferrence is a nice aftermarket performance muffler. I don't like the bulky, bland OEM muffler or the wimpy turn-down that hangs off of it. Just my preferrence then.
Sounds good. What is a good brand performance muffler that is not to high $dollar$? can they be bought at a muffler shop or would I need to order one? I`m really new to this so sorry for the dumb questions. Do you think a performance muffler is alot better deal than a glass pack? Thanks!
Well most well-known brand-name glass-packs, like Thrush, etc., are pretty well constructed. For the most part, glass-packs are a performance muffler. Simply put, the straight-through and even design of them are about as flow-friendly as you can get without going to open headers. There are some decent Flowmaster, Borla, and Magnaflow exhausts, as well as others, that used nice mandrel-bent tubing and tuned "traditional" welded case mufflers that also give decent performance all-around, but you probably wouldn't notice much (if any) performance difference between those and a decent glass-pack, assuming the installation is proper.

Keep in mind a old-school glass-pack is almost no different than the shiney fart-cans you see in concept... they both function relatively the same. I would say that a nice glass-pack or cherry-bomb is a little more efficient than a big stainless coffee-can muffler though... "traditional" glass-packs generally hold a bit less volume in their walls, which means they retain more heat. More heat = better exhaust flow. Many of the cars you see driving around with HUGE 9" stainless round exhaust cans with 7" outlets on them are probably worse off because the exhaust/muffler is actually too big... the bigger the exhaust/muffler, the more the gases have a chance to cool down... the cooler they get, the denser they get and the worse the exhaust flows out. Just something else to keep in mind when choosing an exhaust... go to big or too small on tubing/muffler/other diameters, and it can hurt you just the same.

Anyway, enough rambling... yes, a glass-pack can work just fine compared to the others listed above... it might only last a few year, but they're cheap and efficient too.It's all about preferrence toosometimes.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:55 AM
N30N
Record Breaker

the most part, glass-packs are a performance muffler. Simply put, the straight-through and even design of them are about as flow-friendly as you can get without going to open headers. There are some decent Flowmaster, Borla, and Magnaflow exhausts, as well as others, that used nice mandrel-bent tubing and tuned "traditional" welded case mufflers that also give decent performance all-around, but you probably wouldn't notice much (if any) performance difference between those and a decent glass-pack, assuming the installation is proper.

Keep in mind a old-school glass-pack is almost no different than the shiney fart-cans you see in concept... they both function relatively the same. I would say that a nice glass-pack or cherry-bomb is a little more efficient than a big stainless coffee-can muffler though... "traditional" glass-packs generally hold a bit less volume in their walls, which means they retain more heat. More heat = better exhaust flow. Many of the cars you see driving around with HUGE 9" stainless round exhaust cans with 7" outlets on them are probably worse off because the exhaust/muffler is actually too big... the bigger the exhaust/muffler, the more the gases have a chance to cool down... the cooler they get, the denser they get and the worse the exhaust flows out. Just something else to keep in mind when choosing an exhaust... go to big or too small on tubing/muffler/other diameters, and it can hurt you just the same.

Anyway, enough rambling... yes, a glass-pack can work just fine compared to the others listed above... it might only last a few year, but they're cheap and efficient too.It's all about preferrence toosometimes.
+1

Old 06-03-2008, 07:12 PM
AirWolf

A srt exhaust with glasspack is also a very cheap way to go . You can get one for under a 100bucks and a glasspack from 25bucks to 80 bucks. Ive had mine for almost 4yrs and no mpg lost mine was free at my glasspack was 80bucks . I have a 31inch but alot on here like the cherrybomb so thats really cheap so get yourself a srt exhaust and a cherrybomb glasspack.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Exubus
Champion

ORIGINAL: AirWolf

A srt exhaust with glasspack is also a very cheap way to go . You can get one for under a 100bucks and a glasspack from 25bucks to 80 bucks. Ive had mine for almost 4yrs and no mpg lost mine was free at my glasspack was 80bucks . I have a 31inch but alot on here like the cherrybomb so thats really cheap so get yourself a srt exhaust and a cherrybomb glasspack.
HeyAirWolf, what side did you end up mounting your glasspack on? Whatbrand did you end up going with? [sm=helpout.gif]

As far as the SRT4 exhaust... it probably doesn't make too much of a difference with the base 2.0-liter, but I know a lot of the serious SRT4 drag guys will actually pull that McDonald's-arch looking dual-exhaust setup off their cars and run the straight pipe out the back... the double-horseshoe "arch" exhaust actually builds some extra backpressure for them, which isn't good if you're looking for low 1/4-mile ET's on a moddedSRT4... not sure how much of an effect it has on a 130-hp 2.0-liter though.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:53 PM
AirWolf

I will find out both of your questions for you tommorrow when I can find my invoice for my glasspack and look underneath to see my glasspack see where he welded it . [>:]

Old 06-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Exubus
Champion

Ok sounds good.

Quick Reply: I need a new muffler