2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

01 neon wont start.....HELP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 02:41 PM
james94538
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 01 neon wont start.....HELP!!!!!!!

I was driving my neon kinda fast around a bend getting on the freeway and it stalled half way on the on-ramp. i tried to start it after and it was just making a clicking noise like the starter does when it goes out. The battery is good and the clutch was engaging and disengaging fine. If anyone knows anything about this or this has happened too any adivice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 09-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Captansavaho
Captain

check your crank sensor..could be a loose wire

also...are your motor mounts bad..if so then your crank sensor wire doesnt have enough slack when you give it gas engine moves shorting the sensor causing the car not to run

Last edited by Captansavaho; 09-02-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: because i wanted too
Old 09-05-2009, 07:21 PM
neisg1
Veteran

Originally Posted by Captansavaho
check your crank sensor..could be a loose wire

also...are your motor mounts bad..if so then your crank sensor wire doesnt have enough slack when you give it gas engine moves shorting the sensor causing the car not to run
While it is correct that a bad crank sensor will cause the engine not to run, it should not cause the starter problem. If, as you say the starter is only clicking you need to do some checking.

1) A fully charged battery should read a bit over 13volts.
2) While attempting to crank voltage should not drop below about 10 volts.
3) If the battery is good, bad cable connection can also cause voltage drops.

If the voltage at the battery is OK while attempting to crank then try measuring it at the starter terminals while attempting to crank. This should verify if you have bad cable connections.

If all of this checks OK then try to determine if the click you hear is the starter or the starter relay located in the compartment beside the battery. The starter relay is the same as several other relays in the box so can be swapped with one of the other ones for testing.

Last edited by neisg1; 09-05-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:05 PM
neisg1
Veteran

Just had another thought, After the engine died, did you verify that it still turns free and isn't ceased.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:55 AM
james94538
Default hmmmmmmmmmmmm

how would i know if the engine has seized up???(what are some methods to check this??) and i checked the battery and everything seems to be good on that end and i also forgot to mention i hit a curb earlier that morning and my front right lower motor mount is missing the little clip that is in front. also with all of the wires wrapped up in the wire loom wouldn't that make it hard for the wire to come loose. is it is the crank sensor does anyone know how hard that is to replace?

Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 PM
neisg1
Veteran

Originally Posted by james94538
how would i know if the engine has seized up???(what are some methods to check this??) and i checked the battery and everything seems to be good on that end and i also forgot to mention i hit a curb earlier that morning and my front right lower motor mount is missing the little clip that is in front. also with all of the wires wrapped up in the wire loom wouldn't that make it hard for the wire to come loose. is it is the crank sensor does anyone know how hard that is to replace?
This has a standard trans right? just put it in gear and rock the car back and forth to see if the engine turns at all.

I've never changes a crank sensor, it could be the reason it stalled but, would not effect the starter issue.

Quick Reply: 01 neon wont start.....HELP!!!!!!!