DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Neon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon-78/)
-   -   2004 Neon front suspension clunk (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon/226601-2004-neon-front-suspension-clunk.html)

ginel857 01-01-2010 11:18 AM

2004 Neon front suspension clunk

I have had this clunk noise coming from the right hand side and tried different things. A local shop offered to replace the front struts for $600 suggesting that the bearings in the top mount are worn out. I did one side myself with a coplete strut assembly unit and the clunk is still there. It is loud when going over bumps. I am thinking that the halfshaft or the lower A arm bushings are bad, but don't know.
Has anyone had the same problem? Please give me some suggestions.
Thks

neoncrazy101 01-01-2010 02:16 PM

Wrong section but sounds like possible ball joints.

hydrashocker 01-04-2010 12:27 PM

Welcome to the forum but let me move this thread to the proper section for you:

You need to post in this section under cars : 2nd Gen Neon which is the 2000 year and up section for the Neon.

darthroush 01-04-2010 02:33 PM

I agree. It does sound like ball joints. Get under the car and take a look. If the boots are torn, they most likely went bad. The LCA bushings do go out fairly often on these as well, so if you do replace the ball joints, save yourself a lot of trouble and work and just replace the bushings while the A-arm is out.

mkov608 01-05-2010 09:12 PM

Strange Clunk Revealed

I just had the exact same problem with a friends 04 Neon. It turned out to be the right engine mount. Do no be confused with the torque struts (upper & lower) those were broken too, but even after I replaced those, I still had to change the right motor mount to get rid of the noise. To make matters worse, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to even see the mount while it's installed. Once I got it out, the mount was broken clear through.

Like the other posts, I had changed the left and right lower control arm assemblies (complete with new bushings and new ball joints) because I too thought that was the problem. I had replaced the front struts about 6 months prior because the right front was leaking.

One last word of advice, make sure the replacement mount has a metal center. One of the upper torque struts had a phenolic center and it lasted about 3 months

ginel857 01-17-2010 09:50 PM

more work .. no solution yet

Thanks for the latest hint. I just now got to it, it fiigures, I just changed to lower A arms yesterday and put new ones in. The car feels tighter, but still clunks. I will check the motor mount next.
Thank you again.

ginel857 01-17-2010 11:56 PM

additional inquiry

I looked at the manual and it shows the upper strut and the two brackets attached to the engine and body. Did you change 1 bracket or both?

Thks.

darthroush 01-18-2010 01:07 AM

The actual motor mount is directly across from the timing belt cover. The only way to properly check it is to remove it. The upper and lower struts are torque struts which are there to keep the engine from rocking back and forth. They are not actually motor mounts.

When does it "clunk?"

mkov608 01-18-2010 10:07 AM

When does it Clunk?

We would hear the clunk anytime we were on a rough road ... driving straight or in a turn. That's what made me think ... lower control arm (struts had already been replaced).

I'd suggest to anyone chaning a timing belt/water pump to change that right enging mount while they hvae the timing belt cover off. Cost is cheap compared to tearing it all apart again.

mkov608 01-18-2010 10:11 AM

Question

Darthroush, do you work for Chrysler? Dealership mech? Seems like you are all over this forum.

darthroush 01-18-2010 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by mkov608 (Post 1955958)
We would hear the clunk anytime we were on a rough road ... driving straight or in a turn. That's what made me think ... lower control arm (struts had already been replaced).

I'd suggest to anyone chaning a timing belt/water pump to change that right enging mount while they hvae the timing belt cover off. Cost is cheap compared to tearing it all apart again.

How are the tie rod ends?

Agreed. I'm pretty sure my motor mount is broken, so it is going to be replaced when I do my belt. Even if it isn't broken, for the price of a new one, might as well change it and save the hassle. Once every 100,000 miles isn't too bad.

Originally Posted by mkov608 (Post 1955961)
Darthroush, do you work for Chrysler? Dealership mech? Seems like you are all over this forum.

Nope. Just someone who has had the awesome luck of having to work on cars a lot. I do read up on things as well on a somewhat regular basis. I love learning things. Knowledge is something you won't ever not use, so, the more the better. :)

t102ati 01-24-2010 07:47 PM

did you check the trans mount it also makes noise when you drive over bumps. but this noise u can feel it on the driver floor when you pass a bump, some times on you can feel it on the steering wheel. its just a suggestion???

stocker505 02-10-2010 11:35 AM

Drive the car for 5 miles, jack the car and inspect the tie rod ends, usually the right side though.( I fought a similar "clunk" for almost a year.) For some reason the joint would be tight when "cold" but would show signs of play when "hot".

t102ati 02-12-2010 12:24 PM

hey guys i had the same problem on my 2002 neon the famous front clunk. and it turn out to be the right side a arm. when i would break the car would slightly would rock foward and cause the clunk noise. there is a square washer at the a arm bolt behind the lower engine mount. this washer was not set properly in the last service and was rubbing on the cross mount. so when i would apply the brakes the washer would make pressure on the cross member (engine mount). and this is how i sloved the clunk problem. on my neon. maybe this can help

darthroush 02-12-2010 05:27 PM

^^^ Interesting

the18301 02-18-2010 12:19 PM

Ive done it!!! ive beaten my clunk finally!! :icon_angel: took me nearly four months but ive finally solved it. Mine was a combination of two things bad ball joints and bad sway bar bushings....AND NOT THE THE ONES ON THE ENDS OF THE SWAY BAR BUT THE BUSHINGS IN THE TWO CLAMPS IN THE CENTER OF THE SWAY BAR THAT CLAMP THE SWAY BAR TO THE FRAME OF THE CAR.my first attempt at fixing this clunk was the lower control arm bushings and the sway bar links on the each end of the sway bar. but to my dismay the clunk was still there, only when i went over un even surfaces-potholes etc. most of the clunk came from the sway bar warping-wiggling in its 2 mounts that bolt it to the frame on the underside of the car. when i pulled the mounts for it i found that the bushings were rock hard and were worn away on the inside where the sway bar goes through them, this caused play in the mounts so when i went over a uneven surface the sway bar would wiggle and make the rattle sound through the whole car. you could take off your sway bar links and try to wiggle yours to see if this is the problem...