2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Electrical Problem 2000 Neon

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:03 AM
crzygreen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem 2000 Neon

I started having an electrical problems about a month ago. When I first noticed there was a problem the lights were flickering. After driving it for a little bit the battery light came on. I drove the car home, turned it off, and tried starting it again. It ran perfectly for days (with no flickering). I even drove it on a 1000 mile road trip without any problems.

Over the last month the problem has gotten worse. During the last week I jump started it and it worked fine for a couple of days. Then I was at the store and when I turned the key it wouldn't do anything. Got it jump started and from that point the lights flickered and battery light came on.

I thought it was the alternator so I replaced it. The battery was bad after all this so I got a replacement and upgrade on it. I thought for sure this would fix the problem. To my surprise NOTHING! I checked the connections to the alternator, starter, and battery. Everything is secure.

What else is left???

This all started after I replaced and cleaned everything from the head gasket up but I don't think I missed anything. All the connections look secure.

Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Old 02-12-2010, 01:36 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have that stupid battery wrap/shield thing? If so, is the sensor connected?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 AM
crzygreen

No, I don't ever remember having a battery shield/wrap thing. No sensor that I know of.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:26 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The sensor is on that wrap. There's an electrical connector that has to be plugged into it if the car came with one. If it is supposed to have that sensor, and it is not there, the battery will not charge correctly. Dodge further created electrical problems in the cars by requiring that sensor to be there and plugged in. The computer reads the battery temperature via the sensor and determines the charge rate from the alternator. Not all cars had it. Seems more like autos did.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:36 AM
crzygreen

No battery sensor on this one.

Could it maybe be a voltage regulator somewhere? This would be alot easier if I had a diagnostic computer.

If I can't figure this out by Monday, I am just going to take it to the shop and I will let you know what they figure out.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:16 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Voltage regulator is in the PCM, which would mean a new computer. Have you checked all 5 grounds in the engine bay, along with the two for the headlights for any corrosion or looseness?

Old 02-15-2010, 06:25 PM
Twkdout066

It might also be a good idea to check you battery cables with an ohm meter cables can corrode inside the plastic sleeving where you cannot see it. I had a very similar problem and had to replace my cable clean the engine ground now it runs fine.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 AM
crzygreen

I replaced the battery wire going to the fuse box and the connectors. Works great so far. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem 2000 Neon