2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 10:49 AM
lalo2181
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rough idle

I have a 2002 dodge neon sxt and have had a horribly rough idle for a while now. Ive changed the coil packs, spark plugs, wires, idle air control, camshaft and crankshaft sensors (was shutting off), fuel regulator, looked at ground wires and still nothing. It gets the worst when I turn my ac on. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-13-2021, 12:18 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Checked the motor mounts?

Old 07-13-2021, 02:06 PM
lalo2181
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Checked the motor mounts?
motor mounts were changed and also changed trans Mount since I was there already. Just bought the iac valve to see if hopefully that’ll help.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:59 AM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the 2nd Gen Neon Forum.

Were all those parts you replaced testing bad, or were you replacing them on a hunch??? If they test good you have some spares. Resist the urge to toss parts at a problem unless they show damage, or its time, or they test bad.

If you've scanned for trouble code clues, post all code Numbers as they can help focus a trouble shoot. If you don"t have a scan tool or code reader, you can have the dash put up codes by switching the ignition from Off to On / Run (Don't crank the engine), 3 times, remaining at On the 3rd time. Then monitor the dash Mileage display & write down & post All code Numbers, as they can help focus a trouble shoot.

As the IAC is responsible for maintaining idle speed as engine load changes & you've reported it acts out when the a/c is turned on, I agree the IAC belongs on the suspect list. You might try removing & cleaning the IAC internally, with a plastic safe product like CRC MAF spray cleaner & see how it goes. Cleaning may not last, it didn't for me on my 99 Ranger, but was a good trouble shooting step for me, as I knew what the problem was when it acted out again 6mos later. I opted for a BWD brand IAC for 1/2 the price with a discount, of a OEM part. BWD makes parts for the OEM's, so they have a proper quality system in place. So far Its lasted Twice as long as the factory part. You can find promo discount codes here RetailMeNot: Shop and Save with Coupons & Cash Back
More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Last edited by paw paw; 10-17-2021 at 11:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (07-19-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 07:35 PM
paw paw
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Well lalo2181 how is the rough idle trouble shoot going, 298 curious minds would like to know???

Quick Reply: Rough idle