DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Neon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon-78/)
-   -   2005 Dodge Neon SXT - Idle slowly drops to 550 RPM (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-neon/268153-2005-dodge-neon-sxt-idle-slowly-drops-to-550-rpm.html)

CaptKolohe 11-10-2010 08:32 PM

2005 Dodge Neon SXT - Idle slowly drops to 550 RPM

Hello,

I just bought a used '05 Dodge Neon SXT, automatic. It has 53,000 miles.

Everything seems to run fine with the exception that sometimes when I come to a complete stop at a traffic light or bumper-to-bumper traffic, the idle will slowly creep down to as low as around 550 RPM. If I turn the air conditioning on, it will idle at a normal level ~700.

When it is idling near 500 RPM it starts to feel a little shaky or hesitant (seems as if the fuel/air mixture is not rich enough). It will only happen after I've driven the car around a bit and have it warmed up.

I replaced the air filter (which wasn't that dirty) and the problem still happens. The check engine light is not illuminated.

Is this normal for an '05 Dodge Neon? Should I have this looked at?

I'm not an auto guru so I am hoping someone can offer some advice. Thanks!

TASmith 01-09-2011 04:21 AM

Same here... Idle drops to 500rpm

I purchased a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT with 70K miles. I consider it a sound car, but I’m having the exact same problem you’re having, although it doesn’t drop to 550 every time I come to a complete stop. The car runs great at normal rpm i.e. 700 rpm.

No problem with starting in hot or cold weather and I get good gas mileage; I’ve tracked it over a month and its averaging 27mpg. I’ve put new plugs, plug wires, filters, brakes and fluids to establish a baseline in order to maintain the vehicle. My guess the problem is the timing belt and pulleys since it’s got 70K miles on it and the recommend maintenance is replacement at 100K.

I don’t get any “check engine” lights and I put a meter on it and there were no codes and all sensors checked out OK. I ran across a thread regarding about “flashing” ECM, but I’m not sure how that will improve anything, nonetheless it was out there as a solution to the problem. Let me know if you determine the root cause to the problem.

showsxt 01-09-2011 11:41 AM

I would change the spark plugs and wires and see if that takes care of your problem. I have an auto 04 and mine did the same thing until I changed the plugs and wires.

darthroush 01-09-2011 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by TASmith (Post 2375517)
I’ve put new plugs, plug wires, filters, brakes and fluids to establish a baseline in order to maintain the vehicle.

Originally Posted by showsxt (Post 2375723)
I would change the spark plugs and wires and see if that takes care of your problem. I have an auto 04 and mine did the same thing until I changed the plugs and wires.

Originally Posted by TASmith (Post 2375517)
I purchased a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT with 70K miles. I consider it a sound car, but I’m having the exact same problem you’re having, although it doesn’t drop to 550 every time I come to a complete stop. The car runs great at normal rpm i.e. 700 rpm.

No problem with starting in hot or cold weather and I get good gas mileage; I’ve tracked it over a month and its averaging 27mpg. I’ve put new plugs, plug wires, filters, brakes and fluids to establish a baseline in order to maintain the vehicle. My guess the problem is the timing belt and pulleys since it’s got 70K miles on it and the recommend maintenance is replacement at 100K.

I don’t get any “check engine” lights and I put a meter on it and there were no codes and all sensors checked out OK. I ran across a thread regarding about “flashing” ECM, but I’m not sure how that will improve anything, nonetheless it was out there as a solution to the problem. Let me know if you determine the root cause to the problem.

The timing belt won't do anything to the engine, unless it breaks. Pulleys don't really "go bad;" the bearings will and you'll hear them.

Some Neon's just do this, sorry to say. Mine does this crap too, though I'm supposed to get a computer update to fix my problem (my year has a TSB).

showsxt 01-09-2011 02:28 PM

Well mine did this but when I got new plugs and wires mine doesnt do this anymore. Mine now has 195,000 on her

hemi4spd 01-10-2011 10:31 AM

clean out the IAC valve ports

turbo talon dl 94 01-10-2011 05:43 PM

Mine would do this when I first got it in WARM weather; not so much in the cold for some reason. It never idled as low as 500 RPM; but would idle lower than the normal 7-800 RPM that I prefer. I just changed alternator and timing belt/water pump and has not done anything funny. The RPMs do NOT drop under full electrical load anymore either. I changed my plugs when I first noticed this problem and no change. I dont think it idled any smoother either.

I'm gonna assume this happens mainly at stop lights after the car is well warm? If so then can you either put it in neutral, or blip the gas while holding the brakes and it goes away? (auto trans)

showsxt 01-10-2011 06:16 PM

I have had my auto 04 for like 6yrs now and only had a problem the 1st yr and I changed the plugs and wires for the 1st time and never had that problem again like you guys are having .

reddanak 01-10-2011 08:20 PM

inthewerks 01-11-2011 01:34 PM

I have had this problem too. In my auto trans, when decelerating to a stop, I can see my rps as the tranny downshifts. Sometimes, the final downshift doesnot happen until I am fully stopped then the rpms will dip a little low then return to normal. Does this sound like what miht be happening?