2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

2001 Neon: R/T without the magnum engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Speed 1B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Neon: R/T without the magnum engine?

Post #1

Just picked up a 2001 ES. Without lifting the hood this car appears to be an R/T. 16'' R/T wheels, driving lights, R/T spoiler, traction control, power mirrors/windows/locks/sunroof,rear disk brakes,side airbags,its loaded up. It doesnt have dual exhaust or the magnum motor though.

Was this an offered package of somekind or did someone shell out a bunch of cash and special order this car? I just bought it as a "work" car for 1200.00 But its a super nice car! nicest 1200.00 car ive ever seen. Just was wondering about the history of it.

Thanks guys.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Speed 1B

To the top

Old 11-03-2009, 07:08 PM
contagious19
Champion

there was no package with r/t wheels. but i do believe there was options for sunroof, pw windows and all of that but im not sure about driving lights.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:09 AM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You say it's an ES? If that is correct, someone did a lot of swapping. It's either an ES or an R/T. I don't think the R/T would come with the regular 2.0 on accident.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:58 PM
lilreddakota
Rookie

Traction control? On a Neon? I was glad mine DIDN'T have ABS. Chrysler has enough electrical issues without adding more.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by contagious19
there was no package with r/t wheels. but i do believe there was options for sunroof, pw windows and all of that but im not sure about driving lights.
There are four in Glen burnie alone that I have seen, including the neon at the yard my 16" alloys came from. Fog lights, sideskirts, 19mm rear sway, and the 16" alloys. Heard there leftovers when the caliber moved is, so the extras were handed down to base models. Extra charge? Who knows, but they are out there.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by contagious19
There are four in Glen burnie alone that I have seen, including the neon at the yard my 16" alloys came from. Fog lights, sideskirts, 19mm rear sway, rt spoiler, and the 16" alloys. Heard there leftovers when the caliber moved is, so the extras were handed down to base models. Extra charge? Who knows, but they are out there.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:56 PM
LowSlowNeon
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Ghost Neon 2
There are four in Glen burnie alone that I have seen, including the neon at the yard my 16" alloys came from. Fog lights, sideskirts, 19mm rear sway, rt spoiler, and the 16" alloys. Heard there leftovers when the caliber moved is, so the extras were handed down to base models. Extra charge? Who knows, but they are out there.
According to the OP its an 01, which is well before the time of the caliber. That would lead me to believe whoever owned the vehicle prior to the OP buying it just swapped parts to make improve its appearance. If it was an 04 or 05 perhaps that would be the case, but I'm going with someone really liked the look of the R/T. Similar to regular neon guys buying srt parts to put on their neon even though they are just regular neons.....

Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 PM
thecause17
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wikipedia.org
The Neon was offered with a Sport package for the 2001 model year only. It consisted of an R/T wing, R/T 16 in (41 cm) wheels, R/T springs, white instrument cluster and R/T steering box. It was an R/T visually except for the lack of dual exhaust, R/T lower mouldings, fog lamps and R/T exclusive front bumper. The Sport only came equipped with the base model's 132 hp (98 kW) engine and was available with an automatic transmission (unlike the manual-only R/T model).
I know this is an old post, but I was searching and came across this and remember reading about it on Wikipedia a while back.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:49 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm, first I heard of that. Pretty neat package though!

Quick Reply: 2001 Neon: R/T without the magnum engine?