Issues and questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Neonewbie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues and questions

2001 SE

Some things I've noticed and were concerned / had questions about.

The steering wheel - the steering wheel feels as if I need an alignment (i think). I brought my car for an oil change and the mechanic said it looked fine.
The car wont go straight unless the steering wheel is partially turned right.
1 - Could have the mechanic been right and this is a different issue and not an alignment issue?

My external door handles (except the left passenger) stick. When I open the doors the handle doesnt reset and close (go back down.)
2 - What do I need to do to fix this problem.

Power outlet isnt working. I believe I seen online that its fuze 14 in the box under the hood.
3 - Is this correct? (I dont have the car with me tonight)

I was skimming through some posts and read that simple green does a good job at cleaning under the hood.
4 - What about dawn degreasing dish detergent, any of you tried that?

I am a newb when it comes to part names / placement.
I would like to wash under the hood but, I do not know what else I should cover / keep from getting wet and most likely i wont know whee those parts are located.
5 - What should I cover / keep dry and where are those parts located?
5a - Could I use amerol or turtle wax interior protection on the hoses / plastic covers under the hood after every thing dried?

My rocker panels are starting to rust as a matter of fact one side has a 4 - 6 inch long maybe 2inch wide hole in it.
6 - Would it be cheaper to try to fix them or replace them (if I could find some used?) How would I go about fixing them if I cannot find any for cheap?

Old 11-08-2011, 10:50 PM
darthroush
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Neonewbie
2001 SE

Some things I've noticed and were concerned / had questions about.

The steering wheel - the steering wheel feels as if I need an alignment (i think). I brought my car for an oil change and the mechanic said it looked fine.
The car wont go straight unless the steering wheel is partially turned right.
1 - Could have the mechanic been right and this is a different issue and not an alignment issue?

My external door handles (except the left passenger) stick. When I open the doors the handle doesnt reset and close (go back down.)
2 - What do I need to do to fix this problem.

Power outlet isnt working. I believe I seen online that its fuze 14 in the box under the hood.
3 - Is this correct? (I dont have the car with me tonight)

I was skimming through some posts and read that simple green does a good job at cleaning under the hood.
4 - What about dawn degreasing dish detergent, any of you tried that?

I am a newb when it comes to part names / placement.
I would like to wash under the hood but, I do not know what else I should cover / keep from getting wet and most likely i wont know whee those parts are located.
5 - What should I cover / keep dry and where are those parts located?
5a - Could I use amerol or turtle wax interior protection on the hoses / plastic covers under the hood after every thing dried?

My rocker panels are starting to rust as a matter of fact one side has a 4 - 6 inch long maybe 2inch wide hole in it.
6 - Would it be cheaper to try to fix them or replace them (if I could find some used?) How would I go about fixing them if I cannot find any for cheap?
1. If you don't have to turn the wheel to make it go straight, then it was just an alignment "tech" being a lazy-*** and not making it straight. If you have to turn the wheel a bit, then yes, it is an alignment issue.

2. Sounds like you need to spray up inside the handle, and the latches, with some lubricating spray.

3. I believe it is, yes. IIRC, it is also a 20A fuse.

4. Dish soap is for dishes IMO. If you use Simple Green, or any concentrated cleaner, follow the directions for properly diluting it. They can and will be overly harsh if you don't dilute as you should. Also, don't use it on uncoated aluminum.

5. I personally just spray the engine down with the "shower" setting on my spray nozzle, use a soft wheel brush and car soap and water to clean, rinse in the same manner, and start the engine for a bit. I've never covered anything on any car (except the carb on my truck), and I've never had a problem. If you want to be extra cautious, cover the coil pack and alternator. The alternator on these cars sit near the ground, so it gets wet when you drive in the rain or get the undercarriage blast at the car wash, so...

5a. Yes

6. I have no idea about body work, but I'd guess one small, isolated hole would be easier to fix now than replace metal later.

Quick Reply: Issues and questions